This creamed spinach and mushrooms recipe is a great low carb side dish that’s a fantastic option for a weeknight meal or a holiday dinner. The mushrooms are seared to perfection, then smothered in a super creamy garlic spinach sauce. Enjoy this creamed spinach with a twist that is ready in less than 20 minutes.
Creamed spinach is one of the most common side dishes in our house. Even my brother, a picky eater who hates fresh spinach, loves this as a side for garlic butter steak.
In my opinion, it’s even better than the traditional creamed spinach because it’s loaded with protein, and mushrooms add great taste. Serve it with your roasted chicken or a juicy roasted turkey breast.
This creamed spinach recipe is one of the greatest low-carb spinach recipes you’ll ever find because of its flavor and texture. The first time I made this recipe, I wanted to make creamy stuffed chicken breast, but after I tasted it, I found myself eating the sauce straight from the pan.
Thanksgiving is just a few days away, and this recipe came right in time for a quick and delicious side for whatever you’re going to be serving it with.
How To Clean Mushrooms?
What is the optimal way to clean mushrooms in order to get them crisp up while cooking? Here are my favorite ways to clean them:
- Don’t wash the mushrooms. Instead, wipe each mushroom with a moist paper towel or a pastry brush to remove the dirt. Working with one mushroom at a time, carefully clean them.
- Rinse under cold water and dry well with a paper towel.
Ingredients In Creamed Spinach and Mushrooms
Here’s a complete list of everything you’ll need to create creamed spinach. In the recipe card below, you’ll find the exact measurements.
- Mushrooms – White button mushrooms, brown Mushrooms such as Cremini or Portobella are excellent choices.
- Garlic – Fresh is the best.
- Spinach – fresh or frozen are both great.
- Cream Cheese – make sure to use full-fat cream cheese at room temperature.
- Heavy Cream – helps the sauce to be as creamy as possible.
- Butter – I used unsalted butter so I can control the amount of salt in this sauce. Any vegetable oil such as olive oil or avocado oil is fantastic for frying mushrooms.
- Parmesan cheese – adds a distinct flavor and naturally thickens the sauce.
- Thyme – fresh or dried both pair well with this mushroom sauce.
- Salt & Pepper – to taste.
- Fresh Pasley – I love to garnish the sauce with tons of fresh parsley that
How To Make Creamed Mushrooms and Spinach
This Creamed Mushrooms and Spinach is easy to make just by following a few simple steps.
- In a large pan over high heat, melt the butter, then add the mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms begin to turn golden on the edges.
- Then add the garlic and sauté for another minute until fragrant. Stir constantly.
- Add cream cheese and heavy cream, and mix to combine with the cooked mushrooms. Reduce the heat and season the sauce to your taste.
- Add the parmesan cheese and spinach. Cook for a few more minutes.
This is a great recipe to prepare ahead of time for meal prep or even to freeze it. Here’s how to keep low-carb creamed spinach fresh:
- Fridge: You may also keep it refrigerated in a sealed container. In the refrigerator, it will keep for approximately 3 days.
- Freezer: You can place cooked mushrooms in a freezer-safe container to freeze for up to a month.
Reheat the sauce on the stove or in the microwave until it’s heated through.
- Add about 4 oz of sun-dried tomato pieces to the sauce to make the best Tuscan mushroom sauce.
- Crispy bacon bits are a great addition and give a smoky flavor to the sauce.
- For some heat, mix in crushed chili flakes.
- If you have some leftover chicken breast, it’s a great way to use it up. Mix them with the sauce for a complete meal.
How to Serve?
Spinach and Mushroom sauce is perfect for any protein or vegetables. Some of our favorites include steak, poultry, pork, fish, zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice, mashed cauliflower. It’s also thick enough to be used as a dip with freshly baked keto bread.
Can I Use Frozen Spinach?
Yes, you may save time and money by using frozen spinach. Just allow the frozen spinach to thaw first in a colander and squeeze it to remove as much moisture as possible.
Looking For More Creamy Recipes? Try these:
- Easy Creamy Chicken Florentine
- Creamy White Chicken Chili Recipe
- Quick & Easy Creamy Garlic Shrimp with Parmesan
- Keto Pork Chops with Super Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Creamed Spinach and Mushrooms
- Place a large skillet over high heat and melt the butter.
- Add sliced mushrooms and saute the mushrooms for about 5 minutes, or until they start to look golden brown on the edges. Add garlic and cook for one more minute, stirring constantly.
- Mix in cream cheese and heavy cream. Reduce the heat and bring to a simmer, stirring from time to time.
- Add parmesan cheese and baby spinach leaves. Cook until the spinach is wilted for about 30 seconds.
- Season with thyme, salt, and pepper to taste.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: