Learn how to make this unbelievably easy keto Béchamel sauce recipe that rivals the classic French version but with none of the carbs! Indulge in this silky and creamy low carb bechamel that has a luscious texture and pour it over your favorite vegetables, or incorporate it into a mouthwatering lasagna.
If you are craving that delicious creamy and velvety sauce served in restaurants but in a healthier version for your diet, look no further.
Made from only naturally low-carb ingredients, this gluten-free bechamel sauce tastes like the regular one but has fewer carbs.
Whether serving it over vegetables, meat, or seafood, make this recipe and impress your loved ones with the perfect white sauce that completes perfect any dish.
What Is Béchamel Sauce?
Also known as white sauce, bechamel sauce it’s a classic French sauce made from butter, flour, and milk cooked until creamy and velvety.
Used as a base in many other recipes, this sauce it’s also called one of the five “mother sauces” since it adds a delicious flavor to many dishes like lasagna, mac&cheese, or gratins recipes. The sauce is simply flavored with seasonings such as salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
Béchamel sauce is super versatile and is used in many recipes, such as lasagna, gratins, macaroni and cheese, and creamy vegetable dishes. It’s creamy texture and delicate flavor add richness and depth to recipes.
Is Béchamel Sauce Keto-Friendly?
Regular béchamel sauce is not keto-friendly since it’s made with wheat flour as a thickener, which is high in carbohydrates. Fortunately, you can make a keto-friendly version of Béchamel sauce using low carb ingredients, and in this way, you can enjoy the rich and creamy flavor of Béchamel sauce while keeping your carb intake low.
Why Are You Going To Love This Keto Béchamel Sauce Recipe?
- Super easy to make in only a few minutes.
- It can be made ahead of time and used anytime you need it.
- It’s a versatile recipe.
- Made from naturally low-carb ingredients.
- Only 3g net carbs per serving.
- It’s a customizable recipe. Feel free to add different herbs, spices, and shredded cheeses.
- Taste like the regular béchamel sauce but with fewer carbs.
- It’s a healthier option.
This delicious keto friendly béchamel sauce is made using only a few ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. Here is a list of everything you will need:
- Butter – you will need unsalted butter for this recipe. Provides a rich, creamy flavor and smooth texture.
- Cream Cheese – make sure to use full-fat cream cheese at room temperature to ensure good mixing.
- Heavy Cream – helps the sauce become creamy and velvety.
- Chicken Broth- you can also use vegetable stock if you want.
- Egg Yolk – used to thicken the sauce.
- Salt – just a pinch to taste and enhance all the flavors.
- Nutmeg – this is one of the traditional ingredients in béchamel sauce, and it’s used to provide a warm, slightly sweet flavor to the sauce.
How To Make This Keto Béchamel Sauce?
You won’t believe how easy it’s to prepare this low carb white sauce at home in such a short time without needing any cooking skills. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- In a saucepan, combine the butter, cream cheese, cream, and chicken stock. Cook over medium heat until the butter melts, which should take about 2 minutes. Be careful not to bring it to a boil.
- Take a separate cup and place the egg yolk in it. Add a small amount of the warmed sauce to the yolk, and mix well using a fork. This step is crucial to prevent the béchamel from separating.
- Gradually pour the yolk mixture back into the saucepan while stirring continuously. Keep the heat low and use a hand balloon whisk to stir the sauce for approximately 4-5 minutes or until it thickens. Be cautious not to overheat the sauce, as the egg yolk may curdle.
- Once the desired consistency is achieved, season the sauce with salt and nutmeg according to your taste preferences. Make sure not to overhit the mixture. Otherwise, the egg yolk will curdle.
- Season the keto bechamel sauce with salt, nutmeg, and any other desired seasonings or flavorings. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. Once ready, remove from heat and serve immediately over your favorite dishes.
How To Use This Béchamel Sauce
This keto béchamel sauce is a delicious and versatile sauce that can be used in various dishes. Here are some ways to use keto béchamel sauce:
- It pairs great with many vegetables, such as cauliflower, zucchini, and broccoli.
- You can use it to make a delicious keto lasagna with it.
- It pairs perfectly with almost any casserole dish. We love using this keto bechamel as a final layer for our zucchini casserole.
- Toss the keto béchamel sauce with shirataki noodles, zucchini noodles (zoodles), or other low-carb pasta. It makes the pasta super creamy without adding excessive carbs.
- Serve the keto béchamel sauce as a dip for low-carb crackers, roasted vegetables, or even grilled chicken.
Here are some interesting variations to the basic keto béchamel sauce recipe that you can try:
- Add one tbsp of red pepper chili flakes or cayenne pepper for a spicy béchamel sauce.
- Feel free to add your favorite dried herbs to the sauce for extra flavor.
- Once you’ve removed the sauce from the stove, stir in your favorite shredded cheese for an intense cheesy flavor.
- Stir in some lemon zest at the end for a tangy twist on the classic béchamel sauce.
- Fridge – you can store this sauce in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer – this keto béchamel sauce it’s a freezer-friendly recipe. Place the sauce in a freezer-safe container and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Can I Make This Sauce Ahead Of Time?
Sure, you can make this sauce in advance, transfer it to an airtight container or bowl, and press a piece of plastic wrap onto the surface of the sauce to prevent skin from forming.
Then store the sauce in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheat it in a pot or saucepan before using.
More Keto Sauce Recipes
- Keto BBQ Sauce
- Easy Burger Sauce Recipe
- BEST 5 Minutes Yum Yum Sauce
- 10 Minute Lemon Garlic Butter Sauce
Keto Béchamel Sauce
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 egg yolks
- A pinch of salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, and chicken broth. Cook over medium heat until the butter melts, which should take about 2 minutes. Be careful not to bring it to a boil.
- Once the butter is melted, add 3 tablespoons of the warm mixture over the egg yolks and whisk. This step is crucial to prevent the béchamel from separating.
- Gradually pour the yolk mixture back into the saucepan while stirring continuously. Keep the heat low and use a hand balloon whisk to stir the sauce for approximately 4 minutes or until it thickens.
- Once thickened, remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the salt and nutmeg, and mix until well combined.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: