This Keto Cornbread is super fluffy, tender, and moist. It has the right amount of sweetness, making it fantastic for dipping into chili, soups, or stews or top with butter and have it as a quick snack. At only 1g net carbs per serving, this almond flour cornbread is super soft in the middle with buttery and crunchy edges.
Despite being gluten-free, this wheat-free cornbread it’s hands down the best low carb cornbread you can ever make. It’s sweet enough, soft, crumbly, and holds up so well! It’s so easy to make it from scratch and to enjoy it with my easy keto chili.
Take a look at this super easy step-by-step video that shows you exactly how to make this keto cornbread:
As you know, starting this month, we are posting 3 new recipes each week. I hope that’s fantastic news for you! For us, here at the LowCarbSpark’s little Studio means we’re testing tons of recipes and sharing with you only the best versions!
This week we tested some amazing salad recipes, some delicious keto drinks, and a keto white chicken recipe that’s coming out next week. All the team loved dunking keto cornbread into chicken chili, so it’s time to share the recipe with you. No food wasted here!! I’m thrilled to see if you’ll like it.
- Is Cornbread Keto?
- Keto Cornbread Ingredients
- Optional Add-Ins
- How to Make Low Carb Keto Cornbread?
- How to Serve Cornbread?
- Got Low Carb Cornbread Leftovers?
- How Many Carbs Are in this Low Carb Cornbread?
- Carbs in Corn
- Can I Replace Almond Flour with Coconut Flour?
- Storing Options
- Other Recipes You Might Like
- Low Carb & Keto Cornbread
Is Cornbread Keto?
Traditional cornbread recipes are not keto-friendly because the original recipe is made with flour, corn, and sugar, which contain too many carbs for a keto lifestyle.
However with just a few switches, I developed the best keto cornbread recipe that tastes similar minus the carbs.
Keto Cornbread Ingredients
When it comes to what ingredients do I need to make low carb almond flour cornbread recipe? Since corn it’s not a part of a keto eating plan, neither is wheat flour or sugar, what’s left to do? How can I turn this southern favorite into a low carb version without compromising the taste and texture?
The answer is simple because we are going to use almond flour instead of wheat flour, a low carb sweetener in place of sugar, and corn extract to replicate the flavor. But, corn flavor it’s slightly expensive, and this recipe turns out perfect without it.
Whether you are on team sweet low carb cornbread or savory cornbread, this recipe can be adapted. I must confess I am on the sweet cornbread side.
Just think of warming a piece of keto friendly cornbread and let some butter melt on top…Mmmm Divine.
Let’s stop talking and get straight to all the ingredients you’ll need to make this great keto cornbread recipe.
- Almond Flour – This is a fantastic way to substitute wheat flour in low carb baking. It’s super low carb and gives a fantastic texture. You don’t necessarily have to use extra fine almond flour in this recipe. Almond meal it’s excellent if that’s all you have. Alternatively, you can use coconut flour instead. Read below exactly how to substitute one for another.
- Erythritol – This is the sweetener I use most in baking. You can use a Monk Fruit blend or Xylitol (be careful it’s toxic to dogs). Another option will be to completely leave out the sweetener if you are looking for a savory keto cornbread.
- Eggs – It’s important to use room temperature eggs because cold eggs will make the butter solidify, and the cornbread batters with too thick. From my experience, using room temp eggs in low carb baked goodies drastically reduce the eggy taste.
- Corn extract – A few drops go a long way!
- Unsalted butter – Melt the butter before incorporating with the other ingredients because it’s easier that way. If you can, use grass-fed butter. It makes a huge difference in taste.
- Baking powder makes cornbread extra fluffy.
- Cheddar Cheese
How to Make Low Carb Keto Cornbread?
The instructions are fairly simple, and there’s no way to make these 5 ingredients keto cornbread wrong. Follow the steps below, bake for 30 minutes and enjoy a delicious buttery keto bread.
- You’ll start by cracking four eggs into a large bowl. Whisk in the melted butter and sweetener.
- Then add the dry ingredients into the egg mixture. Mix just until the batter is smooth and there are no visible lumps.
- Transfer the batter to an 8×8 inch pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick comes out clean. Ensure you don’t overcook the cornbread, so it comes out moist and delicious.
How to Serve Cornbread?
Cornbread is best topped with butter and drowned in sugar-free syrup. Other ways to serve it include smothered with a low carb jam and dipping cornbread in a warm soup.
Got Low Carb Cornbread Leftovers?
If you’re wondering how to store this keto bread, then you have to know that you can keep cornbread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. Just warm it up for a few seconds in the microwave. Just as good as freshly baked.
How Many Carbs Are in this Low Carb Cornbread?
Since we do not use cornflour, this cornbread is super low in carbs and each serving comes at about 1g net carbs.
Carbs in Corn
Corn is a starchy vegetable that comes in various ways: corn on the cob, corn kernels, popcorn, corn flour, corn tortillas.
According to the USDA website, 1 cup of fresh corn has about 27 grams of carbs, 2.9 grams of carbs of fiber, and 24 grams of net carbs.
Can I Replace Almond Flour with Coconut Flour?
Yes, you can replace almond flour with coconut flour. Use ½ cup coconut flour instead of almond flour and let the dough sit for about 5 minutes before baking. This allows the coconut flour to absorb liquids.
Store low carb cornbread at room temperature, covered with plastic wrap or foil for 3-4 days.
This low carb almond flour cornbread is also freezer friendly, so you can freeze individual pieces for 2-3 months.
To reheat, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw completely, then microwave until warm.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- The Best Keto Bread – also made with almond flour and perfect for sandwiches!
- Keto Bagels with Almond Flour – just 5 ingredients and you can enjoy delicious low carb bagels for breakfast
- 90 second Keto Bread – the quickest and easiest low carb bread fix!
Low Carb & Keto Cornbread
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C. Line an 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add four eggs, melted butter, sweetener and whisk well.
- Stir in the almond flour, baking powder until there are no visible lumps and the batter is slightly thick.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan. Evenly spread the batter and smooth using a silicone spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes until the edges look golden brownies and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cornbread to cool in the pan for a few minutes and then slice it into 16 pieces. Enjoy warm topped with butter!
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: