This keto tres leches cake features a grain-free sponge cake soaked in a creamy mixture made with three types of milk, topped with a sugar-free whipped topping. So think about it: a creamy, moist, and delicious slice of low carb cake that is also keto, gluten-free, and sugar-free.
This gluten-free keto almond flour cake comes out extremely moist and delicious. It’s such a flavorful dessert that features a fluffy cake soaked in a 3 milk mixture, then topped with a creamy frosting and refreshing low carb fruits.
Our almond flour tres leches dessert is not only delicious but also looks incredibly fancy making it perfect for birthdays, potlucks, or any special occasion. It is prepared quite simply and quickly.
The secret of moist cake layers is using both almond flour and coconut flour for their special properties. When combining these two types of flour you get the best cake texture that’s not too dry which often happens in keto baking.
Why Are You Going To Love This Low Carb Tres Leches Cake
- The cake is moist and fluffy
- Only 3 grams net carbs for a slices
- Perfect for any special ocassion
- Has a perfectly moist texture.
What Is This Tres Leches Cake?
The name of the Tres Leches cake recipe means “cake with three types of milk.” Tres Leches is a classic Latin American dessert found in almost every Mexican bakery and restaurant. This outstanding dessert has a complex history and origins that match its flavor. Tres leches cakes feature a vanilla sponge cake that’s soaked into a milk mixture. The sweetness is balanced by the lightly sweetened whipped cream and fresh fruits.
Is Tres Leches Cake Keto?
Regular Tres Leches Cake is not keto-friendly because it’s made with wheat flour, a lot of sugar, regular milk, and sweetened condensed milk.
Luckily, by switching just a few ingredients, I created one of the most decadent and moist low carb tres leches cake.
Low Carb Tres Leches Cake Ingredients
If you want a dessert that will surprise everyone, this low carb tres leche cake is perfect. You will not spend too much time in the kitchen as this cake comes together quickly. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
For the cake:
- Almond & Coconut Flour – using this mix of keto flour helps the cake to get that fluffy and airy texture.
- Butter – make sure that you are using room temperature unsalted butter. If you want a dairy-free keto cake, use melted coconut oil or avocado oil instead of butter.
- Sweetener – my favorite sweeteners are Erythritol, Monk Fruit sweetener, and Allulose, but you can use your favorite one.
- Eggs – always use room temperature eggs to avoid that eggy taste.
- Almond Milk – you can also use unsweetened coconut milk.
- Vanilla Extract – always use the best high-quality pure vanilla extract that you can find.
- Baking Powder – aids in the rise and fluffiness of the cake.
- Condensed Milk – the best one is the one that you are making at home. You can try our recipe if you want.
- Almond Milk
- Heavy Cream
- Heavy cream – make sure it is cooled to beat well.
- Sweetener – I suggest using erythritol, allulose, or monk fruit as a confectioners/powdered low-carb sugar replacement.
- Vanilla – this one helps give a great flavor to the frosting; make sure that you are using the best quality you can find.
How To Make Keto Tres Leches Cake
This Keto Tres Leches Cake has become one of my favorite family and mine because it’s extremely delicious and doesn’t require so many cooking skills. Here is everything you have to do:
Making The Almond Flour Cake
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
In another bowl, beat the eggs, melted butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract using an electric mixer until the mixture is frothy and well combined.
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing just until a smooth batter forms.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
Make the Tres Leches Mixture
Prepare a batch of my keto condensed milk using these directions.
To make the sugar-free tres leche syrup, combine homemade sweetened condensed milk, almond milk, and heavy cream in a medium bowl.
Assemble The Cake
Use a fork to gently pierce the entire surface of the slightly cooled cake.
.Slowly drizzle the tres leches syrup over the cake, allowing it to soak in.
Refrigerate the cake for at least 30 minutes so that it can absorb the syrup completely.
Make the Frosting
In a clean, large bowl, whip the cold heavy cream, powdered sweetener, and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
Evenly spread the whipped cream over the chilled tres leches cake.
Tips For Making The Best Tres Leches Cake
- Line the bottom of your cake pan with parchment paper. This ensures the cake doesn’t stick, provides a smoother surface, and makes it easy to remove it from the pan.
- It’s normal for some milk mixture to remain at the bottom of the pan after pouring it over the cake. As the cake rests, especially during refrigeration, it will continue to absorb this moisture, resulting in the desired moist texture of Tres Leches Cake.
- If you’re preparing the Tres Leches Cake ahead of time, it’s best to add the whipped cream frosting just before serving. This keeps the whipped cream fresh, fluffy, and at its peak texture and flavor.
- After baking, allow the cake to cool for a short while before adding the milk mixture. The cake should be slightly warm, not completely cooled, to ensure optimal absorption of the milk.
- Avoid Sogginess: While Tres Leches should be moist, it shouldn’t be soggy. If you find your cake is too wet, next time, reduce the amount of milk mixture or let the cake absorb the milk for a longer time before serving.
- Flavor Variations: Add a touch of rum or cinnamon to the milk mixture, or zest some lime into the cake batter for a zesty twist.
- Fridge – If there are any leftovers, you can store them in the fridge. Cover the cake leftovers to help keep in the moisture, and store for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Freezer – I don’t recommend freezing this sugar-free tres leches cake in the freezer because the texture won’t be the same. However, you can freeze the grain-free cake and soak it in the milk mixture after defrosting.
Equipment Needed To Make This Keto Tres Leches Cake
More Keto Desserts
- No-Bake Keto Key Lime Pie
- The Best Birthday Keto Vanilla Cake I’ve Ever Had – Only 4g Carbs
- Keto Marble Cake – Chocolate Vanilla Marble Pound Cake
- Keto Coconut Cake
Keto Tres Leches Cake
Tres Leches Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups sugar-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- Make a batch of sugar-free condensed milk following these steps.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C /350°F and line a 9-inch springform with parchment paper and grease with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients almond flour, sweetener, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt.1 1/2 cups almond flour, 1/2 cup coconut flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 2/3 cup granulated sweetener
- Place the wet ingredients: eggs, melted butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Use an electric mixer to mix all the ingredients until frothy.5 large eggs, 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Assemble Tres Leches Cake:
- To make the sugar-free tres leche syrup, combine homemade sweetened condensed milk, almond milk, and heavy cream in a medium bowl.1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup Heavy cream, 1 1/2 cups sugar-free sweetened condensed milk
- Pierce the surface of the cake with a fork and drizzle the milk mixture all over the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes to allow the liquid to absorb into the cake.
- Make the whipped cream: In a large bowl, beat cold heavy cream, powdered sweetener, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.1 cup heavy cream, 1 tbsp powdered sweetener, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Spread the sugar-free whipped cream over the top and decorate with sliced strawberries.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: