This almond flour tres leches cake features a grain-free sponge cake soaked in a creamy mixture made with three types of milk, topped with a sugar-free whipped topping. So think about it: a creamy, moist, and delicious slice of low carb cake that is also keto, gluten-free and sugar-free.
I love baking simple, crowd-pleasing keto desserts made with wholesome ingredients such as vanilla keto cake, sugar-free tiramisu, or our popular coconut cream pie.
This gluten-free keto almond flour cake comes out extremely moist and delicious. It’s such a flavorful dessert that features a fluffy cake soaked in a 3 milk mixture, then topped with a creamy frosting and refreshing low carb fruits.
Our almond flour tres leches dessert is not only delicious but also looks incredibly fancy making it perfect for birthdays, potlucks, or any special occasion. It is prepared quite simply and quickly.
The secret of moist cake layers is using both almond flour and coconut flour for their special properties. When combining these two types of flour you get the best cake texture that’s not too dry which often happens in keto baking.
Why Are You Going To Love This Low Carb Tres Leches Cake
- The cake is moist and fluffy
- Only 3 grams net carbs for a slices
- Perfect for any special ocassion
- Has a perfectly moist texture.
What Is This Tres Leches Cake?
The name of the Tres Leches cake recipe means “cake with three types of milk.” Tres Leches is a classic Latin American dessert found in almost every Mexican bakery and restaurant. This outstanding dessert has a complex history and origins that match its flavor. Tres leches cakes feature a vanilla sponge cake that’s soaked into a milk mixture. The sweetness is balanced by the lightly sweetened whipped cream and fresh fruits.
Is Tres Leches Cake Keto?
Regular Tres Leches Cake is not keto-friendly because it’s made with wheat flour, a lot of sugar, regular milk, and sweetened condensed milk.
Luckily, by switching just a few ingredients, I created one of the most decadent and moist low carb tres leches cake.
Low Carb Tres Leches Cake Ingredients
If you want a dessert that will surprise everyone, this low carb tres leche cake is perfect. You will not spend too much time in the kitchen as this cake comes together quickly. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
For the cake:
- Almond & Coconut Flour – using this mix of keto flour helps the cake to get that fluffy and airy texture.
- Butter – make sure that you are using room temperature unsalted butter. If you want a dairy-free keto cake, use melted coconut oil or avocado oil instead of butter.
- Sweetener – my favorite sweeteners are Erythritol, Monk Fruit sweetener, and Allulose, but you can use your favorite one.
- Eggs – always use room temperature eggs to avoid that eggy taste.
- Almond Milk – you can also use unsweetened coconut milk.
- Vanilla Extract – always use the best high-quality pure vanilla extract that you can find.
- Baking Powder – aids in the rise and fluffiness of the cake.
- Condensed Milk – the best one is the one that you are making at home. You can try our recipe if you want.
- Almond Milk
- Heavy Cream
- Heavy cream – make sure it is cooled to beat well.
- Sweetener – I suggest using erythritol, allulose, or monk fruit as a confectioners/powdered low-carb sugar replacement.
- Vanilla – this one helps give a great flavor to the frosting; make sure that you are using the best quality you can find.
How To Make Keto Tres Leches Cake
This Keto Tres Leches Cake has become one of my favorite family and mine because it’s extremely delicious and doesn’t require so many cooking skills. Here is everything you have to do:
Start by making the cake:
- Start adding all the wet ingredients to a bowl and mix them well until frothy.
- Then add the dry ingredients over the dry mixture and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Fill the prepared cake pan evenly with the batter. Smooth out the tops using a rubber spatula.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 20-22 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center of the cake to check for doneness. Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes before adding the tres leches mixture.
Make the tres leches mixture:
- Prepare a batch of my keto condensed milk using these directions.
- Then add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix them well.
- Poke holes on the top of the cake with a fork.
- Pour the milk mixture overland place the cake in the fridge for at least 30 seconds to allow the cake to absorb all the liquid.
Make the frosting:
- Add the heavy cream, sweetener, and vanilla extract to a bowl and mix it well until it starts to thicken.
- Once the milk mixture is absorbed, you can add the frosting and refrigerate it until you are ready to eat it.
Tips For Making The Best Tres Leches Cake
- Line your baking sheet with foil before pouring in the cake mixture to make cleanup a breeze.
- There may be some milk in the cake pan’s bottom. This is fine because the liquid will soak into the cake as it sits.
- If you choose to make this recipe ahead of time, I recommend adding the frosting just before serving it.
- Before pouring the milk mixture, let the cake cool for a few minutes, but you need to make sure that it is not fully cooled.
- Fridge- If there are any leftovers, you can store them in the fridge. Cover the cake leftovers to help keep in the moisture, and store for up to 5 days in the fridge
- Freezer- I don’t recommend freezing this sugar-free tres leches cake in the freezer because the texture won’t be the same. However, you can freeze the grain-free cake, and soak it in the milk mixture after defrosting.
Equipment Needed To Make This Keto Tres Leches Cake
- Mixing bowls
- A fork
- Baking tray
- A hand mixer
- A spatula
More Keto Desserts
- No-Bake Keto Key Lime Pie
- The Best Birthday Keto Vanilla Cake I’ve Ever Had – Only 4g Carbs
- Keto Marble Cake – Chocolate Vanilla Marble Pound Cake
- Keto Coconut Cake
Keto Tres Leches Cake
- 5 large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour blanched super fine
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2/3 cup granulated sweetener
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Tres Leches Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups sugar-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
Whipped Cream Frosting
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced strawberries to garnish
- Make a batch of sugar-free condensed milk following these steps.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C /350°F and line a 9-inch springform with parchment paper and grease with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Place the wet ingredients: eggs, melted butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Use an electric mixer to mix all the ingredients until frothy.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Assemble Tres Leches Cake:
- To make the sugar-free tres leche syrup, combine homemade sweetened condensed milk, almond milk, and heavy cream in a medium bowl.
- Pierce the surface of the cake with a fork and drizzle the milk mixture all over the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes to allow the liquid to absorb into the cake.
- Make the whipped cream: In a large bowl, beat cold heavy cream, powdered sweetener, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the sugar-free whipped cream over the top and decorate with sliced strawberries.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: