This is truly the best low carb keto carrot cake recipe. It’s super easy to make a sugar-free carrot cake that’s moist, delicious and topped with a creamy cream cheese frosting. You’ll need only wholesome ingredients to make this gluten-free and sugar-free carrot cake with coconut flour cake layers.
There are plenty of delicious keto desserts on this blog and more to come (stay tuned!) but no true keto cake with layers and frosting. If you are looking for the worlds;’s best keto carrot cake to make – or for Easter – or any day of the year – you’ve come to the right place. This is by far the best sugar-free carrot cake with coconut flour! Yay, no almond flour is needed in this delicious gluten-free carrot cake.
You probably think that carrot cake is a spring dessert that’s usually right for Easter. You are right, but in our family food rules do not apply. We have carrot cake any time in the year because it’s decadent, delicious. I’ll show you exactly how to make a sugar-free carrot cake that everyone will love.
Fall is peak season for carrots, so for now and many months to come you can enjoy fresh and tasty carrots in any form. Make sure to save this carrot cake recipe and start making it as soon as possible! It’s a game-changer.
Low Carb Carrot Cake with Coconut Flour Ingredients
Gluten-free baking is much different than classic baking because switching the wheat flour for coconut flour or almond flour requires a different technique. All the recipes we create here at LowCarbSpark are super low carb. We offer tons of tips and tricks so you can customize the recipes to your dietary needs.
You’ll need just eight ingredients for the keto carrot cake that you’re most likely to have in your kitchen and a few spices:
- Coconut Flour
- Sour Cream
- Vanilla Extract
- Pecans or Walnuts
- Shredded Coconut
- Spices: Cinnamon, Nutmeg
I usually bake with almond flour and coconut flour, and it was pretty difficult to choose which one to use to make the perfect keto carrot cake. I have a few recipes that require both almond and coconut flour, especially the keto bread recipes. But while developing this recipe, I focused on bringing to you a recipe that you can enjoy even with a nut allergy.
PS: You can skip the pecans!
Coconut flour is a unique flour that’s pretty easy to use once you understand how it works. The coconut flour carrot cake layers turned out perfect, hold up so well, and are super moist.
Try not to get intimidated by the number of eggs used in this keto carrot cake recipe because it won’t turn out eggy or soggy! Just low carb carrot cake layers are full of flavor and easy to make.
Wait… I thought carrots aren’t keto. I know you do, but it’s a misconception that being on a keto diet carrots are forbidden. Carrots are a root vegetable that is slightly higher in carbs but can definitely be consumed in moderation. You can check our Keto Vegetables Guide to find the exact macros of most vegetables.
When it comes down to macros, a slice of this keto carrot cake will definitely fit into your macros. It just 6g net carbs, frosting included!
The sugar-free Cream Cheese Frosting is my favorite, and it’s also super easy to make. You’ll need to use powdered sweetener, cream cheese, butter, whipping cream, and vanilla extract. Just four ingredients for a delicious keto frosting!
How To Make Keto Carrot Cake
Making a homemade keto carrot cake with coconut flour is extremely simple and requires a few steps
- Line two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper and grease well the sides.
- Prepare the keto carrot cake batter – Mix together the eggs, sweetener, spices followed by the dry ingredients and carrots.
- Bake the cake layers – Divide the layers evenly into your two baking pans. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test. Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool down completely.
- Prep the cream cheese frosting – Cream together all the ingredients by using the instructions in the recipe card!
- Frost the cake – Place one cake layer on the desired serving platter, then top with half of the frosting, spreading evenly all over the cake. Repeat with the second layer and refrigerate for a few hours to set the frosting.
- Slice and Enjoy! One the cake is cooled enjoy a slice or more!
Is this Low Carb Carrot Cake Paleo and Dairy Free?
Unfortunately, this keto carrot cake is neither paleo or dairy-free. I’ll try to give you some tips on how to make paleo keto carrot cake that still yields a pretty delicious carrot cake.
Here are the alterations that this carrot cake recipe needs to make a paleo gluten-free carrot cake with coconut flour.
Eggs, Coconut Flour and Sweetener, carrots are paleo-friendly. If you desire and are not interested in carb count, feel free to use coconut sugar.
Replace the sour cream with unsweetened coconut yogurt, and that will make you able to make paleo carrot cakes layers.
Making the low carb bream cheese frosting paleo means changing all the ingredients, so I’d recommend using your favorite paleo dairy-free frosting. Coconut Whipped cream is the perfect dairy-free alternative you can use instead.
Tools to Make Keto Carrot Cake
- Hand Mixer – A handy tool when it comes to beating eggs and cream cheese frosting.
- Spatula and Icing Smoother – These will help you make a pretty carrot cake with nice evenly spread frosting.
- Mixing Bowls are a staple in our house. I actually have a few sets of these mixing bowls, and they are perfect for recipes that have more ingredients.
- Round Baking Pans – These baking pans are the perfect size needed to make this carrot cake layers and come in a set of two.
- Wire Rack – An essential step in making this cake is cooling each layer, so a wire rack is what you’ll need.
Other Keto Desserts You Might Love
- Keto French Silk Pie
- Easy Low Carb Keto Pecan Pie Mug Cake
- The Ultimate No-Fail Low Carb Keto Pumpkin Pie
- The Best Fudgy Keto Brownies – Only 2g carbs
The Best Low Carb Keto Carrot Cake
For keto carrot cake layers
Make the keto carrot cake layers
- Preheat your oven to 350F/176C and line to 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Grease the sides with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients: coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl add the eggs, sweetener, sour cream, vanilla extract. Use a hand mixer and mix for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture looks frothy and the sweetener dissolved. Add the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Gently stir in grated carrots, chopped pecans, shredded coconut flakes.
- Evenly divide the batter between the two prepared pans. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before adding the frosting.
Make the Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter for 2-3 minutes scraping the sides. Add the powdered sweetener, whipping cream and vanilla extract. Continue mixing for 2-3 minutes until creamy.
To assemble the keto carrot cake
- Place one layer on a platter or a cake stand. Evenly spread ½ of the cream cheese frosting.
- Place the second layer and spread the remaining frosting on top and on the sides.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight. Slice and devour!
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.