This jalapeno popper chicken casserole is an easy-to-make recipe that’s incredibly delicious and loaded with delicious flavor. With its blend of creamy, spicy, and smoky flavors, it’s a true crowd-pleaser that you won’t regret making.
If you love jalapeño poppers as a snack or appetizer, you’ll love this dinner recipe idea that brings all the delicious flavors of the classic appetizer into a satisfying casserole dish.
Not only is it incredibly flavorful, but it’s also gluten-free, low-carb, and keto-friendly, making it a perfect choice for anyone following a low-carb or ketogenic diet.
You’ll love this delicious jalapeno popper chicken casserole that comes together quickly using simple ingredients. Just think about a juicy chicken breast topped with creamy cheese, then topped with jalapeno peppers, shredded cheese, and crumbled bacon. Sound absolutely delicious, right?
Casserole recipes are a lifesaver in the kitchen since they are super easy to make from start to finish. So whenever I am in a hurry, I choose to make a delicious chicken bacon ranch casserole, cheeseburger casserole, or taco casserole, depending on what I have in my pantry. Trust me; you will never go wrong with casserole recipes.
Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply looking for a quick and satisfying meal, this jalapeno popper chicken casserole is a perfect choice.
Why This Recipe Works
- It’s a customizable recipe. You can use your favorite veggies or cheese.
- Perfect for meal prep. You can make it ahead of time and enjoy it when you are having a busy day.
- Loaded with delicious flavor.
- Ready in just a few minutes.
- Made from inexpensive ingredients.
- With minimal effort and 5 minutes of prep, you can have a delicious and satisfying meal that will please everyone at the dinner table.
Ingredients For Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
Here’s a quick overview of all the ingredients needed to make this easy jalapeno popper chicken casserole. You can find the complete list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card below.
- Chicken Breast – This is the primary protein source for the casserole. Boneless chicken thighs can be used as an alternative.
- Cream Cheese – A smooth and creamy cheese that is used to add richness and flavor to the chicken breast. It’s important to use room temperature cream cheese to ensure even spreading.
- Jalapeno Peppers – These add a spicy kick to the casserole. If you’re not a fan of spice, you can replace them with green pepper.
- Cheddar Cheese – I recommend buying a block of cheddar cheese and shredding it.
- Crispy Bacon – use this recipe to learn how to make the crispiest bacon in the oven. Bacon is used to add a salty, smoky flavor to the casserole.
- Garlic Powder – you can also use fresh minced garlic for an intense flavor.
- Salt and Pepper – These are used to season the chicken breast to taste.
How To Make Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
You will be surprised to see how easy it is to make this insanely delicious casserole. Here is everything you need to do:
Preheat The Oven
Start by preheating the oven at 375F to 190C.
Seasoning the Chicken Breast
Seasoning chicken breast is an essential step in preparing a flavorful and delicious meal.
Arrange the chicken breast in a casserole dish. Season them with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. I love to keep things simple, but you can use a blend of your favorite herbs and spices or use a homemade chicken seasoning.
Prepare The Jalapeno Peppers
Cut the tops of the jalapeno peppers off and remove all the seeds.
It’s important to wear gloves while handling the peppers to avoid any skin irritation or burns.
Then, slice the jalapeno peppers into rounds or small pieces
Assemble The Casserole
To assemble the Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole, start by spreading a layer of cream cheese evenly over the chicken breast. Next, add 3-4 slices of jalapeno peppers, or more if you prefer a spicier flavor.
Top it off with a generous amount of shredded cheddar cheese, which will melt into a gooey and delicious topping.
The combination of cream cheese, jalapeno peppers, and cheddar cheese creates a flavor explosion that will satisfy your taste buds.
Bake The Chicken Casserole
Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 40 minutes until golden brown, then with 5 minutes before ready, sprinkle crumbled bacon over the chicken breast and return to the oven.
Remove from the oven, garnish with fresh chopped parsley, and enjoy.
Tips and Variations
- To ensure even cooking, try to use chicken breasts that are similar in size.
- Experiment with different types of cheese to customize the dish to your taste preferences.
- For an extra kick of spice, consider adding some chili powder and cayenne pepper to the recipe.
- Boost the nutritional value by including some veggies, such as bell peppers and mushrooms, to the casserole.
- Make sure the cream cheese is softened before spreading it over the chicken. This will help it become smooth and creamy during baking.
- Be careful not to overbake the casserole, as this can cause the chicken to become dry and tough. Keep a close eye on it while it’s in the oven to achieve the perfect level of doneness.
You can serve this delicious jalapeno popper chicken casserole with your favorite side dish. Here are some delicious ideas:
- Fridge – you can store any casserole leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer – Freezing is another excellent option for storing these chicken casserole leftovers. Freeze them for up to 2 months in a freezer-safe container or an airtight container.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Sure, you can make this recipe in advance. Prepare and assemble the casserole as indicated, but instead of baking it, place it on a baking pan, cover it with plastic foil, and keep it in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
Then bake it anytime you are having a busy day.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs Instead Of Chicken Breast?
Yes, you can also use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast to make this delicious casserole recipe. However, depending on their thickness, you may need to adjust the cooking time or cook until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165F.
How Can I Tell When My Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole Is Done?
Use an instant-read meat thermometer to check if your chicken is done. Chicken breast is cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165F.
More Casserole Recipes
- Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- The Most Delicious Million Dollar Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Best Zucchini Casserole – Super Creamy and Cheesy
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 jalapeño peppers or pickled jalapenos
- 4 oz cheddar cheese grated
- 8 slices cookedbacon crumbled
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F/ 190C.
- Arrange the chicken breast in a casserole dish and season them with garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Cut the tops of the jalapeno peppers off, remove the seeds, and cut them into rounds.
- Spread the cream cheese over the chicken breast, add 3-4 slices of jalapeno peppers, then top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake the chicken casserole for 40 minutes until golden brown, then 5 minutes before ready, sprinkle crumbled bacon over the chicken breast and return to the oven.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with fresh chopped parsley or freshly sliced green onion, and enjoy.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: