This Philly Cheesesteak Casserole is an incredibly delicious dinner recipe that’s super cheesy, healthy, and easy to make. Learn how to make a low carb Philly cheesesteak casserole using simple ingredients and minimal prep.
Casseroles are one of my favorite dinner recipes that I choose to make when I have guests for dinner. So, from Cheeseburger Casserole, zucchini casserole, and million-dollar chicken casserole to this Philly cheesesteak casserole, I never go wrong when making them.
The only difference between this recipe and the regular one is that we’ll skip the bun to reduce the carbs. However, if you want to make that sandwich style, you can make my buns recipe with only 2g net carbs each.
So make this recipe if you are looking for a new dinner recipe, and enjoy a delicious combination of ground beef, cheese, vegetables, and a creamy sauce along with your favorite side dish.
What Is Philly Cheesesteak?
Philly cheesesteak is a sandwich cooked on a grill originating in Philadelphia, made with thinly sliced ribeye steak, melted provolone cheese, and provolone cheese. Some recipes include bell peppers and mushrooms, but a “real” Philly sandwich contains only steak, onion, and cheese, all served over a roll.
Is Philly Cheesesteak Keto-Friendly?
Regular Philly Cheesesteak, made from regular bread and another high in carbs ingredients, is not keto-friendly since it will immediately kick you out of the keto diet.
Why Are You Going To Love This Recipe
- All the flavors of the iconic sandwich but in a casserole form.
- Simple ingredients and minimal prep.
- Ideal for meal prep.
- It’s a customizable recipe. You can use your favorite veggies or cheese.
- It’s a gluten-free, keto, and low-carb recipe.
- Ready in less than 30 minutes.
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Ingreduebts
You will need only a few easy-to-find ingredients that you probably already have in the kitchen to make this keto Philly cheesesteak. Here is a list with everything you need:
- Ground Beef – feel free to use any ground beef you want. I prefer leaner to avoid any excess fat.
- Olive Oil – you can also use any other vegetable oil you like.
- Onion – I used yellow onion, but the red one is also great.
- Bell Peppers – try using two different colors of bell pepper for a boost of texture and flavor. I used green and yellow pepper.
- Mushrooms – you can use any mushroom, like cremini, portobello, or white mushrooms.
- Provolone Cheese – I use slices of provolone cheese, but cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese is also great.
- Cream Cheese – use softened cream cheese.
- Beef Broth – the vegetable broth is also great.
- Worcestershire sauce – gives a savory and sweet flavor.
- Salt&Pepper – to taste.
How To Make Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
You will be surprised to see how easy it is to prepare this insanely delicious casserole. Here is everything you need to do:
1. Cook the ground beef – Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef into the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook until it is no longer pink. Remove the ground beef from the pan and set aside.
2. Cook the vegetables – Sautee sliced onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms until tender.
3. Add the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and cream cheese. Mix until the cream cheese is completely incorporated. Return the ground beef to the pan and stir until everything is well combined.
4. Assemble the casserole – Turn off the heat and top with slices of provolone cheese.
5. Bake – Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
PRO TIP: Broil for 2 minutes if you want the cheese to be crispy and golden brown.
Tips and Variations For Making the Perfect Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- If you like eating spicier, add chili powder and cayenne pepper.
- I like provolone cheese for this recipe, but any cheese would go fine.
- Ensure you don’t overbake the casserole because the ground beef will dry out, and the vegetables will soften too much.
In my opinion, this Philly cheesesteak casserole is enough to create dinner on its own, but you can also serve it with many side dishes like:
- Make a simple green salad and enjoy it with this delicious casserole.
- Cauliflower Rice – is so simple to make, and it pairs perfectly with this recipe.
- You can serve it with a slice of your favorite bread.
- Crispy French Fries – ground beef, cheese, and french fries, I know it’s the perfect combination.
- Fridge: you can store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
To reheat: you can reheat it in the microwave on 50% power for a gentle reheat.
- Freezer: this recipe is also freezer-friendly, but I recommended freezing it without the cheese. Allow cooling completely, then wrap it in plastic foil and freeze it for up to 2 months.
Thaw the casserole in the fridge overnight, top it with slices of provolone cheese, and bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Steak instead of Ground Beef?
Yes, you can use steak instead of ground beef, such as ribeye or flank steak. Cook separately and cut against the grain. The process is super similar, so just follow the instructions in the recipe card below.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Sure, you can make this Philly cheesesteak ahead of time. First, prepare all the ingredients and assemble the casserole as we did in this recipe(except for the cheese); then, you can wrap it in plastic foil and store it until ready to bake.
Can You Freeze Cheesesteak Casserole?
Yes, this cheesesteak casserole recipe is freezer friendly. Assemble the casserole, wrap it in plastic foil, then freeze it for up to 2 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bake for 15-20 minutes until heated.
To bake the casserole from frozen, place it in the preheated oven and allow it to cook for 50 minutes. Cover it to prevent the cheese from burning.
More Easy Casserole Recipes
- BEST Taco Casserole
- The Most Delicious Million-Dollar Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Veggie-Loaded Breakfast Casserole
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink, then remove it from the pan and set aside.
- If there is no remaining grease from the ground beef, add one more tbsp of olive oil to the same skillet.
- Then add the sliced peppers, mushrooms, and onion and cook until tender.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the beef broth, Worchester sauce, and cream cheese and stir until the cream cheese is melted.
- Return the cooked ground beef to the skillet and mix until everything is well combined.
- Turn off the heat and top with provolone cheese.
- Bake the casserole for 15 minutes and broil for 2 more until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: