This Keto Cranberry Upside Down Cake features a super fluffy gluten-free yellow cake with a bright zing of fresh cranberries that caramelize perfectly. It’s the best keto dessert for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or even New Year’s Eve that everyone will love.
Are you looking for a sugar-free dessert that’s both impressive and quick to make?
This festive recipe requires less than 10 ingredients, and in just 10 minutes of prep, you can whip up a sugar-free dessert that’s going to be a hit.
Serve it with a dollop of homemade whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream, and you’ve got the ideal dessert for holidays or any special gathering.
If, like us, you’re always on the hunt for the next great cake recipe, give our Keto Pineapple Upside Down Pineapple, Keto Chocolate Orange Cake, and Keto Tres Leches Cake a try. Pick your favorite and prepare to wow your loved ones!
Why Are You Going To Love This Keto Cranberry Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- Quick & Simple: Whip this up in just 10 minutes – no fuss involved.
- Make ahead: Perfect for busy schedules; you can make this cake ahead of the big day.
- Flavor Fusion: Enjoy the harmonious blend of tart cranberries with a soft, moist cake.
- Natural & Low-Carb: Made from naturally low-carb ingredients.
- Versatile: From a morning treat to the highlight of a festive dinner, it’s a recipe that wears many hats.
- Eye-Catching Appeal: Its radiant cranberry red against a golden-brown crust is a surefire showstopper on any dinner table.
- Festive Favorite: The go-to dessert for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any occasion where you aim to wow your guests.
Another great thing about this recipe is that you can find all the ingredients you need at your local grocery store or order them online. Here is a list of everything you will need:
For The Topping
- Butter – you will need unsalted butter for this recipe. Butter is used to create that caramelized cranberries layer on the pan’s bottom.
- Brown Sweetener – I typically lean on this particular brown sugar substitute, primarily because of how wonderfully it caramelizes, mimicking the real deal.
- Cranberries – Fresh cranberries are my go-to, giving the cake a vibrant zing. However, if you’re in a pinch or they’re out of season, frozen ones work just as well.
For The Coconut Flour Cake
- Coconut Flour – This coconut flour is one of my favorites as it ensures our cake is wonderfully moist and soft.
- Sweetener – Choose your preferred low-carb sweetener, be it erythritol, allulose, or monk fruit, to tailor the cake to your taste.
- Eggs – help to bind everything together. Use room-temperature eggs to get a perfect blend without any overpowering eggy taste.
- Baking Powder – This is our cake’s rising star, ensuring it becomes super fluffy.
- Cinnamon – Its warm, aromatic profile pairs brilliantly with the cranberries, enhancing the cake’s festive flavor.
- Butter – You can replace it with the same amount of coconut oil for a dairy-free cake.
- Salt – used to enhance all the flavors.
- Vanilla Extract – use the best quality vanilla extract for an intense flavor.
- Almond Milk – you can also use coconut milk.
How To Make Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
Even though this recipe may look too fancy, you’ll be surprised to see how easy it is to prepare. Here are the instructions that you need to follow:
Prepare The Pan
Start by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line the bottom of a 9-inch round cake with a parchment paper to ensure the cake releases effortlessly.
Make The Topping
Add the butter and sweetener to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for about 3 minutes until the sweetener is dissolved.
Spread the mixture evenly on the bottom of the prepared pan, and arrange the cranberries on top of the butter mixture.
Make The Cake Batter
Add the eggs, melted butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl and mix until frothy and well combined.
Now, you can add the rest of the ingredients and mix until there are no lumps.
Gently pour this batter over the cranberries, ensuring an even spread across the entire pan.
Bake The Cake
Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the cake is golden brown.
To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the cake’s center. If it comes out clean or with just a few crumbs, your cake is baked to perfection.
Remove the cake from the oven. Allow it to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
Gently run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake. Place a serving plate atop the pan and, with a confident motion, flip the cake out onto the plate.
Tips and Variations
- Zest It Up: Add some orange or lemon zest to the cake batter for a citrusy note that pairs wonderfully with cranberries.
- Room Temperature Ingredients: Ensure ingredients like eggs and almond milk are at room temperature before mixing. This promotes even blending and better texture in the cake.
- Fresh vs. Frozen Cranberries: If using frozen cranberries, do not thaw them. Use them straight from the freezer to avoid excess moisture.
- More Spices: Incorporate spices like nutmeg or cardamom alongside the cinnamon to create a richer flavor profile.
- Nuts for Texture: Want a bite of crunch in your soft cake? Introduce some chopped nuts—like pecans or walnuts—into the batter for a delightful contrast in texture.
- Fridge: Place the cake in an airtight container or wrap it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap, followed by a layer of aluminum foil, or place it in a freezer-safe container. The cake can be frozen for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy it, defrost the cake in the refrigerator overnight, and then let it come to room temperature before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is My Upside Down Cake Soggy?
This may happen if you use frozen cranberries, so I recommend using fresh ones for a perfect result.
Can I Make This Recipe With Other Fruits?
Sure, if you are not a fan of cranberries, swap out cranberries for other berries like blueberries or raspberries for a unique twist on flavor and color.
What’s The Right Pan For Making This Cranberry Keto Upside-Down Cake?
This type of recipe is usually made in 9-inch round cake pans, but you can use any round pan at least 2 inches deep.
More Keto Cranberry Recipes
- Copycat Keto Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Keto Cranberry Biscotti
- Keto Cranberry Bread with Sugar-Free Glaze
- The Best Ever Keto Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry Upside Down Cake
For The Topping
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup brown sweetener replacement
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).Using butter or non-stick spray, lightly grease the sides of a 9-inch round cake pan or an 8×8-inch square baking pan. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan and press it into place.
Prepare the Topping
- In a medium saucepan, melt the 4 tbsp of butter over low to medium heat. Once melted, stir in the brown sweetener replacement.4 tbsp butter, 1/2 cup brown sweetener replacement
- Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, stirring constantly to ensure the sweetener dissolves evenly. Let it cook for about 3 minutes.
- Carefully pour the butter-sweetener mixture into the prepared pan, ensuring it covers the entire bottom.
- Arrange the fresh cranberries over this mixture.12 ounces fresh cranberries
Make the Cake Batter
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, slightly cooled melted butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk for about 3 minutes until the mixture is frothy.6 large eggs, 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1/4 cup almond milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a separate bowl, combine the coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well to combine.3/4 cup coconut flour, 2/3 cup sweetener, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp salt
- Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing continuously until the batter is smooth with no visible lumps.
- Gently pour the batter over the cranberries in the pan, using a spatula to spread it out evenly without disturbing the cranberry layer.
Bake the Cake
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Check the cake starting around the 25-minute mark: it should be golden brown on top, and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center should come out mostly clean, with maybe a few crumbs.
- Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and place it on a cooling rack. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Run a butter knife around the edge of the cake to loosen it. Place a serving plate or platter over the top of the pan. Using oven mitts, carefully flip the pan and plate together, allowing the cake to settle onto the plate. Gently lift off the pan and remove the parchment paper.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: