This hearty and vibrant Mexican zucchini and beef recipe takes your dinner routine to the next level. Made from a few and easy to find ingredients, this flavorful skillet recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner that will become a family favorite.
This one-pan Mexican recipe is a quick and flavorful dish that satisfies your taste buds and makes an excellent keto-friendly choice.
Ready in only 30 minutes, this Mexican Zucchini And Beef recipe offers a mouthwatering blend of flavors, perfect for a busy weekday. So make this recipe and enjoy it with your favorite side dish to create a delicious complete meal for you and your family.
Not only is this Mexican Zucchini and Beef recipe a treat for your taste buds, but it’s also a great way to incorporate nutritious ingredients into your meals and enjoy a delicious combination of ground beef, fresh zucchini, and a delicious tomato sauce along with your favorite side dish.
Why Are You Going To Love This Mexican Zucchini And Beef Recipe
- Requires simple ingredients and minimal prep.
- Perfect for meal prep.
- Customizable recipe; you can add your favorite veggies or seasonings.
- Gluten-free, keto, and low-carb recipe.
- Ready in only 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Versatile recipe; can be enjoyed for dinner or lunch with your favorite side dish.
- Family-friendly recipe; a crowd-pleasing option for gatherings and shared meals.
- Mexican Zucchini and Beef is a go-to option for the whole family.
You will need only a few easy-to-find ingredients that you probably already have in the kitchen to make this delicious Mexican Zucchini and Beef recipe. Here is a list with everything you need:
- Garlic – For an intense garlicky flavor, fresh minced garlic is required in this recipe.
- Onion – One medium onion finely chopped. Alternatively, you can replace it with onion powder.
- Ground Beef – Feel free to use any ground beef you want. I prefer leaner to avoid any excess fat.
- Zucchini – Fresh zucchini is the way to go! However, if you don’t have any, don’t fret! Feel free to use any summer squash you have available.
- Diced Tomato With Green Chilis – Let’s spice things up with some Mexican flavor! Using tomatoes with green chilis adds an extra kick to the dish. But if you’re not a fan of spicy food, simple diced tomatoes will work just fine.
- Chili Powder – Time to add some heat and flavor! Chili powder gives a delicious kick to the dish, so don’t be shy about it.
- Ground Cumin – Get ready for that authentic Mexican taste! Ground cumin is a must-have seasoning that brings a hearty and rich flavor to the recipe.
- Salt&Pepper – Season to your liking! Add salt and pepper to enhance all the flavors in this dish and make it truly delicious.
- Red Pepper Flakes – If you like things spicy, go ahead and sprinkle in some red pepper flakes.
How To Make Mexican Zucchini And Beef Recipe
Get ready to make a delicious Mexican Zucchini and Beef recipe that is both easy to prepare and incredibly tasty. Follow these simple steps to enjoy this flavorful dish:
Sauté the Aromatics.
Heat some olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté for about 2 minutes until they become tender and fragrant.
Brown The Meat
Once the aromatics are slightly tender, add the ground beef, along with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook the beef until it is no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spatula as you go.
Add The Tomatoes
It’s time to add the diced tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, and red pepper chili flakes. Give everything a good mix until all the flavors are well combined. Let it simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
Add the zucchini and cook it for around 10 minutes or until it reaches the desired level of tenderness. You want the zucchini to be cooked but still slightly firm, so it has a nice texture.
Once the zucchini is cooked to your liking, garnish the dish with some freshly chopped parsley to add a touch of freshness. Now, it’s time to savor the delicious flavors of your Mexican Zucchini and Beef dish. Serve it up, and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Use high-quality ingredients, such as lean beef, firm zucchini, and aromatic spices, to enhance the overall taste and flavor of the dish.
- Don’t Overcook the Zucchini. It’s important not to overcook the zucchini as it can become mushy. Aim for a cooking time of no more than 10 minutes to retain a pleasant texture and avoid any sogginess.
- Drain excess fat: After cooking the ground beef, remember to drain any excess fat. This step helps reduce the greasiness and enhances the overall healthiness of the dish.
- Avoid overcrowding the pan: When cooking ground beef, make sure not to overcrowd the pan. Overcrowding can result in steaming instead of browning, leading to less flavorful meat. Cook the beef in batches if necessary to achieve that delicious golden-brown color.
- Add some corn: For a delightful burst of sweetness and a pop of color, consider adding fresh or canned corn to the recipe. It brings a lovely contrast and adds an extra layer of flavor.
- Add some diced bell peppers, such as red, yellow, or green, for added color, texture, and a touch of sweetness.
- If you’re looking for a fresh and vibrant note, replace the parsley with fresh cilantro. Its distinct flavor adds a zing to the dish and complements the Mexican-inspired flavors perfectly.
In my opinion, this Mexican zucchini and beef recipe is enough to create dinner on its own, but you can also serve it with many side dishes like:
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes: The combination of flavors and textures is sure to please.
- Cauliflower Rice: Keep the meal light and healthy by pairing the recipe with cauliflower rice.
- Keto Pasta: If you’re following a keto diet, you can serve the zucchini and beef alongside this delicious homemade keto pasta. It adds a hearty element to the meal while keeping it within your dietary preferences.
- Your Favorite Bread: Sometimes, all you need is a slice of your favorite bread to complete the meal. Whether it’s a crusty baguette or a warm tortilla, using it to scoop up the zucchini and beef creates a delightful and satisfying experience.
- Crispy French Fries – ground beef, cheese, and french fries, I know it’s the perfect combination.
- Fridge: you can store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- Freeze: I do not recommend freezing this Mexican recipe since the zucchini will become mushy once thawed.
- To reheat: Simmer on low in a skillet for 5-10 minutes covered.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make This Recipe With Another Type Of Meat?
Sure, if you are a fan of the flavor of ground beef, you can still make this recipe by using ground chicken, ground turkey, or ground pork.
Can I Make This Mexican Zucchini And Beef Recipe In Advance?
Sure, prepare this dish by following the steps from this post, then store it in the fridge and enjoy it when you struggle with a busy day.
More Zucchini Recipe
- Easy Baked Zucchini with Parmesan
- Zucchini Pizza Boats
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Healthy Low Carb Keto Zucchini Fritters – 2g Net Carbs
Mexican Zucchini And Beef
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, then add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Cook for 2 minutes until tender.
- Add the ground beef, salt, and pepper and cook until the meat is no longer pink, breaking it with a wooden spatula.
- Add the diced tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, and red pepper chili flakes. Mix until well combined and simmer on low heat for 10 more minutes.
- After 10 minutes, you can add the zucchini and cook for 10 minutes or until the zucchini is cooked but slightly firm.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, and enjoy!!
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.