Made with a few ingredients and minimal preparation, this delicious and easy spatchcock chicken recipe is extremely juicy and has a perfectly crispy skin that will impress anyone. It’s a family favorite way to roast a whole chicken in just 40 minutes.
Ready in under one hour, this recipe for spatchcock chicken it’s the best that you will ever try. Just imagine a buttery and juicy chicken breast loaded with delicious flavors, made with only 10 minutes of prep.
This quick chicken recipe can’t get any easier, and it’s probably of the most delicious and fancy ways to cook a whole chicken in the oven.
Chicken can quickly become dry and tasteless if not cooked correctly. However, with spatchcocking, the distinctive cooking technique guarantees each bite is bursting with juicy succulence and flavor.
I’ll walk you through my favorite version of the recipe and provide some extra tips along the way so that you can create an unforgettable meal!
What is Spatchcock Chicken?
Also known as a butterflied chicken, spatchcock chicken refers to a whole chicken with its backbone removed and then flattened before cooking. This allows for a more even cooking and crispier skin while greatly reducing the cooking time.
It’s an ideal way to cook a whole bird quickly and evenly on the grill or in the oven.
Spatchcock chicken, just like my popular air fryer whole chicken, is a fantastic option for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
So why should you bother making spatchcock chicken? Well, for starters, this method allows for faster cooking times since heat can spread into both sides at once – meaning your dinner will be ready much quicker than other methods. Plus, when cooked correctly, this dish yields succulent, juicy meat with crispy skin – what more could you want!?
Why Are You Going To Love This Spatchcock Chicken Recipe
- Super easy to prepare in such a short time.
- The chicken will turn out incredibly juicy and the skin super crispy!
- You can make it ahead of time.
- Made from easy-to-find ingredients.
- It’s a versatile recipe. You can serve it for dinner with your family or to impress your friend at a party.
- Loaded with delicious flavors.
- You can use the leftovers to create other delicious recipes.
How To Make The Best Spatchcock Chicken?
Here is a list of the ingredients you will need to create this delicious spatchcock chicken recipe. You will be surprised to see that although it looks incredibly fancy, this recipe it’s made using some easy-to-find ingredients.
- Whole Chicken – you will need a 3-5 pound bird with giblets removed from the cavity.
- Salt&Pepper – to season the chicken.
For The Flavored Butter
- Butter – use unsalted softened butter so it’s easier to combine.
- Olive Oil – you can also replace it with avocado oil because it has a higher smoking point.
- Garlic – use fresh minced garlic for an intense, delicious flavor.
- Parsley – fresh chopped parsley it the best, but you can replace it with dried parsley or oregano.
- Lemon – you will need both lemon zest and juice to add a zesty flavor and tenderize the chicken meat.
- Salt and Pepper – to taste.
Feel free to jazz it up with any herbs, spices, marinades, or seasonings of your choice. My chicken seasoning is another delicious way to season a whole chicken.
How To Spatchcock The Chicken?
By using the spatchcock method, the chicken cooks quickly and evenly and develops a deliciously crispy skin. Once you try it, you may never go back to your traditional roast chicken recipe!
Here’s how to perfectly cut the chicken:
Place the whole chicken on a chopper with the breast side down.
Then, using sharp kitchen shears or poultry shears, cut the ribs next to the spine along both sides.
Open the rib cage, then score the sternum with a large knife.
TIP: Don’t throw away the spine and bones of your roasted chicken after carving it – they make for a fantastic homemade chicken bone broth!
Flip the chicken over and press down firmly on the breastbone to flatten it out.
Season The Chicken
Season the inside of the chicken breast with salt and pepper.
Then, place it on the prepared baking sheet and push hard over the breastbone with your hand’s palm to make the chicken lay entirely flat.
Make Flavored Butter
Add the softened butter, olive oil, minced garlic, chopped parsley, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and juice to a bowl and mix until well combined.
Spread The Butter Mixture
Start by spreading 3/4 of the flavored butter under the chicken skin, then spread the remaining butter using a patty brush all over the chicken.
Bake The Spatchcock Chicken
Bake in the preheated oven at 425˚F for 40-45 minutes or until the instant-read meat thermometer reads 160˚F when inserted into the thickest part of the chicken breast.
To check if the chicken is done, pierce the thigh area between the leg and body – juices should run clear when pierced by a fork.
Remember that the temperature of the chicken will continue to rise by about 5-10 degrees after removing it from the oven.
Take it out and let it rest uncovered on a cutting board for 10 minutes before serving.
- Make a marinade using olive oil, citrus juice, fresh herbs such as basil or thyme for some extra flavor.
- Aromatic vegetables like onions, carrots, and celery add both color and taste to any dish – try adding them underneath the bird before roasting for even more yumminess!
- Try combining garlic, rosemary, oregano, thyme, paprika, cumin, and chili powder for a tasty blend that packs a punch.
Tips For Making The Best Spatchcock Chicken Recipe
- Don’t omit to press down on the breastbone since this step will help the chicken cook more evenly and quickly.
- Make sure the oven is preheated before putting in your bird – this helps ensure proper cooking throughout.
- Baste with butter or oil halfway through cooking time for an even more crispy and golden brown skin.
- You can add some chopped vegetables to the pan while making the chicken to make a one-pan chicken dinner.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest for about 5-10 minutes before carving it. This way, the juices remain inside the meat, and the chicken is ultra moist.
- Add one tbsp of red pepper chili flakes when seasoning the chicken for a spicy kick.
- Be creative and use your favorite spices and herbs to season the chicken generously.
Common Mistakes To Avoid
- Overcooking: Knowing when your chicken is cooked perfectly can be tricky. The key to success here is a good meat thermometer, which will give you the most accurate reading.
- Under-seasoning – Make sure to season the chicken well with herbs and spices.
- Not allowing the chicken to rest puts you at risk of losing those juices.
Serving up delicious spatchcock chicken doesn’t have to be complicated. This recipe is so versatile, it pairs perfectly with many sides. Here are some delicious ideas for serving this spatchcock chicken recipe:
- Easy Wedge Salad Recipe
- Quick Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Roasted Broccoli And Cauliflower
- Best Zucchini Casserole
- Easy Baked Zucchini with Parmesan
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Radishes
- Fridge: You can store any chicken leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: you can also freeze the leftovers wrapped in plastic foil and then store them in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- To Reheat: thaw the leftovers overnight in the fridge, then reheat them using the microwave until heated through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Spatchcock Chicken Healthy?
Spatchcock chicken is a great option when it comes to healthy eating. It can be part of a balanced diet for those looking to add more protein, as it’s low in fat, minerals and an excellent source of niacin and vitamins.
Do I Need To Spatchcock The Chicken?
Actually, this step is optional, but it will shorten the cooking time. So if you choose to cook the whole chicken without cutting it, you will have to cook it longer.
Is It Necessary To Marinate The Chicken Before Cooking?
Marinating can certainly make your spatchcock chicken more flavourful, but it isn’t a necessity when making this recipe.
More Chicken Recipes
- French Onion Stuffed Chicken
- Crispy Baked Chicken Leg Quarters
- Easy Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
- Juicy Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Easy Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breast
Spatchcock Chicken Recipe
- 4 1/4 lb whole chicken
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F/220C, and line a baking sheet with parchment pepper.
- Prepare the chicken. Place the whole chicken on a chopping board with the breast-side down. Using kitchen shears, cut along both sides of the spine to remove it.4 1/4 lb whole chicken
- Open the chicken and score the sternum slightly.
- Season the inside of the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Turn the chicken over and press firmly on the breastbone, ensuring the chicken lies completely flat on the board. Transfer it to the prepared baking sheet.1/2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Make the flavored butter. In a bowl, combine the softened butter, olive oil, parsley, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp black pepper. Mix until well combined.4 tbsp unsalted butter, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp parsley, 2 garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp lemon zest, 1 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper, 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Start by spreading the flavored butter under the chicken skin, then spread the remaining butter using a pastry brush to apply the remaining butter mixture over the entire chicken.
- Roast the chicken in the preheated oven for approximately 40 minutes. Ensure the chicken is cooked thoroughly by checking that an instant-read thermometer reads 165˚F (74˚C) when inserted into the thickest part of the chicken breast.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: