Learn how to make this simple and impressive Baked Parmesan Tomatoes recipe, a delicious and refreshing side dish perfect for many delicious meals or enjoyed as an appetizer on a hot summer day.
Elevate your cooking skills with this refreshing recipe for parmesan roasted tomatoes, that’s made with just 5 easy to find ingredients in just 15 minutes from start to finish.
There’s nothing better than the flavor of fresh ripe tomatoes and freshly shredded parmesan cheese baked in the oven until perfection, then enjoyed with your favorite grilled meat or simply as a refreshing appetizer or snack.
With a satisfying crispy exterior and a juicy interior, this recipe it’s the perfect easy side dish for any occasion, like a casual brunch or a special dinner gathering.
What Are Baked Parmesan Tomatoes?
Made from ripe tomatoes and a savory topping of shredded cheese, baked tomatoes with parmesan are a delicious and flavorful appetizer baked in the oven until the tomatoes are tender and the cheese topping becomes golden and crispy. This dish can be enjoyed s a delightful appetizer, a side dish, or even a topping for sandwiches and burgers.
Why Are You Going To Love This Baked Parmesan Tomatoes Recipe
- Easy and Quick: Whip up this culinary masterpiece in a mere 15 minutes – perfect for those moments when time is of the essence.
- Simple Ingredients: With just a handful of easy-to-find ingredients, you’ll craft a dish that’ll leave your taste buds dancing with joy.
- Low Carb: Craving something delicious without the carb overload? Good news – each serving boasts a mere 2g net carbs, making it a smart choice for your cravings.
- Versatile: Ready for the best part? Our recipe is a true chameleon, ready to embrace your personal touch. Jazz it up with your preferred seasonings or experiment with different shredded cheeses. The kitchen is your playground!
- Summer Vibes All Year: Experience the essence of summer in every bite. These tomatoes are brimming with vibrant, sun-kissed flavors.
- Endless Possibilities: Brace yourself for options aplenty! Whether it’s a side dish that steals the show or an appetizer that sparks conversations, this recipe effortlessly slides into any role.
Ingredients For These Baked Parmesan Tomatoes
This recipe will become one of your favorites once you see that you will need a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Here is a list of everything you will need:
- Tomatoes – try using ripe tomatoes with a firm texture and vibrant color.
- Parmesan Cheese – use freshly shredded parmesan cheese to add a rich, nutty flavor to the dish.
- Oregano – enhances the overall taste of this dish by adding a distinctive, aromatic flavor that perfectly pairs the tangy sweetness of the tomatoes and the richness of the Parmesan cheese.
- Salt&Pepper – to taste. Used to enhance all the flavors in this recipe.
- Olive Oil – used to drizzle over the tomatoes to enhance their flavor and prevent them from sticking to the baking sheet.
How To Make These Baked Parmesan Tomatoes
To make these baked parmesan tomatoes, you’ll have to follow just a few simple steps:
Preheat the Oven: Begin by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C). This will ensure the proper baking temperature for the tomatoes.
Prepare the Tomatoes:
- Wash the ripe tomatoes under cool running water. Pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- Slice the tomatoes into thick slices that are approximately 1 to 1.5 inches thick. This will ensure even cooking.
Assemble and Season:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it to prevent sticking. Arrange the tomato slices in a single layer, leaving a small gap between each slice.
- Lightly brush each tomato slice with olive oil. This will enhance the flavor and aid in browning.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and a dash of freshly ground black pepper over the tomato slices. This will season the tomatoes and bring out their natural flavors.
- Generously sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese over each tomato slice. The cheese will melt and create a deliciously golden and crispy topping.
- Sprinkle a pinch of dried oregano or Italian Seasoning over the cheese-topped slices to infuse them with aromatic flavor.
Bake the Tomatoes:
- Carefully place the baking sheet with the assembled tomato slices into the preheated oven.
- Allow the tomatoes to bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the parmesan cheese turns a beautiful golden brown color. Keep a watchful eye to prevent over-browning.
- Check for slight caramelization on the edges of the tomato slices, enhancing their sweetness and flavor.
Serve and Enjoy
- Once the tomatoes are done baking, remove the baking sheet from the oven using oven mitts. Let the tomatoes cool for a minute or two before handling.
- Baked parmesan tomatoes are best enjoyed warm. They can be served as an appetizer, side dish, or even as a topping for other dishes like salads or pasta.
By following these detailed steps, you’ll be able to create delightful baked parmesan tomatoes with the perfect thickness to showcase their flavors and textures.
Tips For Making The Best Parmesan Roasted Tomatoes
- Choose Ripe Tomatoes: Opt for ripe, firm tomatoes to ensure a balanced sweetness and texture in your roasted dish.
- Even Slicing: Slice the tomatoes evenly to promote consistent cooking and ensure that they roast uniformly.
- Freshly Grated Parmesan: Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese for richer flavor and better-melting properties compared to pre-packaged grated cheese.
- Proper Seasoning: Season the tomatoes with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper before roasting to enhance their natural flavors.
- Arrange the tomato slices on the baking sheet without overcrowding. This allows for proper airflow and prevents the slices from becoming soggy during roasting.
- Golden Brown Cheese: To achieve a slightly more golden and crispy cheese topping, you can try making broiled tomatoes with Parmesan.
- Experiment with Variations: Feel free to experiment with different herbs, spices, or additional toppings like garlic for a personalized twist on this classic dish.
- Add some freshly chopped basil before or after baking the tomatoes for a burst of freshness.
- You can also add some freshly shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Add some minced garlic over the tomato slices for an intense garlic flavor.
- Sprinkle some red pepper chili flakes over the tomatoes before baking them for a hint of heat.
- Fridge: if there are any leftovers, place them in an airtight container or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and store them in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freezer: I don’t recommend freezing these baked parmesan tomatoes since their texture will change once thawed.
As I initially said, these baked parmesan tomatoes are super versatile, so that you can pair them with many delicious dishes. Here are some great ideas:
- Meats: Pair these tomatoes with baked chicken breast, pan-seared pork chops, grilled steak, or kabobs for a burst of freshness and tanginess that perfectly balances the richness of the meats.
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken: These tomatoes can make an ideal side dish to accompany an air-fried whole chicken, adding vibrant colors and flavors to your plate.
- Salmon: The tomatoes’ zesty notes complement the richness of baked or air fryer salmon, creating a balanced meal.
- Seafood: Pair them with shrimp, scallops, or other seafood for a burst of flavor and color.
- Burger Topping: Elevate your burger game by using the roasted tomatoes as a topping. The combination of juicy burgers and tangy tomatoes will create a mouthwatering experience.
- 4th of July Appetizer: As an appetizer, these tomatoes can be a festive addition to your 4th of July recipes, providing a burst of flavors and colors that match the occasion.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are The Best Tomatoes For Baking?
When it comes to choosing the right tomatoes for baking, many various types work great due to their flavor, texture, and moisture content. Here is one of the best examples.
- Roma tomatoes are one of the best choices for baking since they have a meaty texture and a low moisture content which is perfect for baking them.
- Beefsteak tomatoes are that large and juicy type that is a great choice for baking.
- San Marzano Tomatoes are known for their sweet and tangy flavor and low seed count, making them ideal for baking.
Can I Make This Recipe In The Air Fryer?
Sure, you can make these Parmesan Tomatoes in the air fryer without struggling too much. Here is everything you need to do:
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for a few minutes.
- Slice ripe tomatoes into thick rounds and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Brush the tomato slices with olive oil, then top with shredded cheese and dried oregano, and place them in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry the tomatoes at 400°F (200°C) for about 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese topping is golden and crispy and the tomatoes are tender.
More Easy Tomatoes Recipes
Baked Parmesan Tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200C.
- Wash the tomatoes and slice them into thick slices.
- Arrange the tomatoes on a baking sheet, then brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top each slice of tomato with shredded parmesan cheese and dried oregano.
- Bake the tomatoes for 10 minutes or until the cheese becomes golden brown.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: