This easy keto caramel sauce recipe is super simple, completely sugar-free, made with only 3 ingredients. Learn how to make a luscious low carb caramel sauce that tastes like store-bought in less than 15 minutes. Only 1 g carbs per serving!
Nothing beats homemade caramel sauce that’s perfect on ice cream, keto cheesecake, coffee drinks like caramel frappuccino or keto apple pie.. or simply eat by the spoonful.
You guys, I can’t believe it’s already September. Can you believe it? I’m super excited for all things Fall: pumpkin recipes, family gatherings, and the holidays! We’re only 2 months away from Thanksgiving and 4 months until Christmas. How did this crazy year go by so fast?
By the way, if you enjoy this recipe, you can find more festive keto recipes, perfect for holidays in my new The Keto Holidays 40+ recipes e-cookbook.
Developing the Best Keto Sugar-Free Caramel
If you watched my Instagram Stories the last few days, you know that I tried for three days straight to get the perfect keto sugar-free caramel recipe for you. My first two tries were complete failures, and I guess it was due to high temperatures. Next, I tried to brown the butter first. The results were satisfying. The sauce is delicious, but it has burn butter pieces, and I wanted a completely smooth caramel without sugar.
Finally, after I adjusted to measurements, temperature, and cooking time while testing different sweeteners, I made the best homemade sugar-free caramel sauce.
Perfect Caramel Sauce has to be:
- Luscious, Smooth, and Creamy
- Rich & Buttery
- Sweet enough but not overpowering
Ingredients in Keto Caramel Sauce
This easy recipe needs only 3 ingredients, whole ingredients in this easy recipe, and it takes just 15 minutes to make.
- Heavy cream – a key ingredient in any caramel sauce recipe.
- Sweetener – I use this Brown Sugar Replacement with Allulose. It’s the best sweetener that replicates granulated brown sugar when making caramel without sugar. You can also erythritol-based sweeteners, brown sugar substitutes such as Sukrin Gold.
- Butter – I recommend using unsalted butter.
- Optional: Vanilla and sea salt to make keto salted caramel – while most keto caramel recipes require vanilla extract, I think it tastes incredible without it.
How to Make Easy 3 Ingredients Sugar-Free Caramel Sauce
Making keto low carb caramel sauce is similar to traditional caramel sauce:
- Melt the butter and incorporate the sweetener.
- After the sweetener completely dissolves, add heavy cream.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sauce is thick enough.
How to Store Keto Caramel?
It’s best to store the low carb caramel sauce in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 weeks. As the caramel cools down, it solidifies, so you need to reheat it in the microwave or on the stove to make it pourable again. You can leave the caramel sauce at room temperature for a few hours to make it liquidy again without risking the oil separation.
Keep in mind that when you reheat this sauce, the temperature should be super low—using a higher temperature will lead to the oils separating.
How to Serve Low Carb Keto Caramel Sauce?
With little prep needed, this sauce takes any keto dessert to the next level. A special topping that will impress your friendly and family! I bet never will know it’s keto.
Here are some fun and delicious ideas on how to serve this decadent sauce:
- Fresh Fruits and Berries – Place your favorite low carb fruits in a bowl and drizzle plenty of caramel sauce.
- Homemade Keto Cheesecake – when I shared the recipe on the blog, I topped it with Raspberry Sauce, but this keto salted caramel is equally delicious!
- Keto Brownies – For an extra special dessert, drizzle the sauce over my fudgy low carb brownies. If you’re not a chocolate fan, try my keto blondies.
- Keto & Low Carb Drinks – Nothings better than a cup of frothy bulletproof coffee or keto pumpkin spice latte with a healthy drizzle of caramel sauce.
Keto Caramel sauce tips and questions:
How to Fix Your Sugar-Free Caramel Sauce?
To fix it (in case of oil separation), remove the caramel sauce from the heat, transfer to a larger bowl, and allow to cool down slightly. Whisk vigorously to reincorporate the oil and make a smooth keto caramel sauce. Then, transfer the caramel into a jar or container.
What’s the best sweetener to use?
- Allulose and xylitol are the best. The resulting keto caramel is luscious and sticky, with no thickener required. Plus, both sweeteners keep your caramel ultra smooth, and I didn’t experience any crystallization whatsoever with either.
- Swerve Brown or any brown sweetener replacement. I discovered that using erythritol crystalizes the sauce as it cools down, but you can reheat it.
Can you freeze caramel sauce?
Yes, that’s an option. When ready to serve, thaw it in the fridge overnight before serving.
How many carbs are in a serving?
Even that this sauce looks and tastes so indulgent, it’s made only with keto-friendly ingredients. A tablespoon of this keto caramel sauce has only 1g bet carbs!
Easy Keto Caramel Sauce – 3 ingredients
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream + 2 tbsp room temperature
- 3 tbsp brown sugar sweetener
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the sweetener and stir for about 3-4 minutes or until it is completely dissolved.
- Add the heavy cream and reduce the heat. Continue to stir occasionally for about 10-12 minutes or until the mixture is thick enough to coat the bottom of a spoon.
- Transfer the caramel sauce to a bowl and using a whisk incorporate 2 tbsp heavy cream.
- (Optional) – To make keto salted caramel add 1 tsp salt and mix to combine.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: