This German creamy cucumber salad is easy, refreshing, and crunchy. It’s a summertime staple in our kitchen that’s perfect for a potluck, BBQ and it’s ready within minutes. Enjoy a clean, excellent creamy cucumber salad recipe that’s incredibly creamy and low carb.
This classic cucumber salad is a delicious summer treat made with crunchy fresh cucumbers, red onion, fresh dill, all tossed in a sweet and tangy, creamy sour cream dressing. It’s incredible how quick it is to make, and it’s the perfect side dish for every barbecue or picnic.
- What is German Cucumber Salad?
- Reasons You’ll Love This Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Ingredients in Cucumber Salad
- How to Make The Best Creamy Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream Dressing
- Make-Ahead Low Carb Cucumber Salad
- How To Serve Cucumber Salad?
- Storage Instructions
- Can We Eat Cucumbers on Keto?
- Other Delicious Recipes You Might Like
- The Best Creamy Cucumber Salad
What is German Cucumber Salad?
Cucumber German Salad called Gurkensalatis is a staple in every household in Germany and in many other German restaurants in the whole world. You might find two versions of this salad, one with a creamy sauce and one plain with just vinegar and oil.
Reasons You’ll Love This Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
- It’s creamy, tangy, but super refreshing and delicious.
- Pairs perfectly with bacon, grilled protein, etc.
- extremely easy to make.
- lasts 2 days in the fridge.
Ingredients in Cucumber Salad
- Cucumbers – English cucumbers are perfect for this salad as they are flavorful, have fewer seeds, and are less watery. But, any cucumbers you can find work just as great. Just remove the seeds and peel the skin if too hard.
- Red onion – add great color, and are delicious raw. It’s important to slice them as thin as possible.
- Sour Cream – For maximum flavor, use full-fat or use greek yogurt instead for a low calorie cucumber salad.
- White vinegar – Use classic white vinegar.
- Fresh dill – I recommend using fresh dill if possible, but dried dill works just as fine. Use 2-3 tsp of dried dill instead.
How to Make The Best Creamy Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream Dressing
Here’s how to make creamy cucumber salad in only three steps:
- Thinly slice the vegetables using a sharp knife or a mandoline. I love using fresh English Cucumbers or mini Persian Cucumbers. Red onions add great flavor to this cucumber salad.
- Make salad dressing – Combine the sweet and tangy vinegar cucumber salad dressing ingredients. You’ll need just a few common ingredients: sour cream, white vinegar, fresh dill, and spices. You can always substitute the sour cream for Greek yogurt for a light cucumber salad.
- Mix in dressing – Pour the dressing over the cucumbers and onions and mix to coat evenly. Enjoy cucumber onion salad immediately, or let it sit for at least 1 hour before serving.
Make-Ahead Low Carb Cucumber Salad
Making cucumber salad ahead is possible and recommended. To make fresh creamy dill salad ahead, we head to get out the excess moisture from cucumber slices. This process is called “sweating” cucumbers. The reason we want to do it is to keep the cucumbers crispy, not soggy.
Line a baking sheet with a clean tea towel and line cucumber slices on the towel. Lightly sprinkle salt to coat all the cucumber slices. Let them sit for about 20-30 minutes and pat dry the cucumbers.
Make the dill dressing ahead and store in an airtight container. When it’s time to serve just combine the cucumbers, onion, and dressing. Garnish with extra fresh dill. It’s that easy to make a dill cucumber onion salad!
How To Serve Cucumber Salad?
While this creamy salad is delicious served on its own you can pair it with a variety of main dishes such as:
- Juicy Oven-Baked Chicken Breast
- Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
- Crispy Baked Chicken Leg Quarters
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings with Buffalo Sauce
- Easy and Juicy Grilled Chicken Kabobs with Vegetables
- Baked Barbeque Pork Belly
- Juicy Pan-Seared Pork Chops
Leftover cucumber salad can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can We Eat Cucumbers on Keto?
Yes, cucumbers are perfect for eating on keto; therefore, this keto cucumber salad is keto-friendly. Cucumbers are 96% water, low in calories, and high in many vital vitamins and minerals.
According to USDA, 1/2 cup of sliced cucumber provides:
- 8 calories
- 1.89 grams carbs
- 0.3 grams of dietary fiber
- 1.59 grams net carbs
- 0 grams fat
- 0 grams protein
You can find detailed carlories in cucumber salad at the bottom of this post. The recommended serving size is about 1/2 cup of the entire easy cucumber salad.
Other Delicious Recipes You Might Like
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Easy Italian Caprese Salad Recipe
- The Best Egg Salad
- Easy Wedge Salad Recipe
- Healthy Keto Egg Salad
- Creamy Homemade Coleslaw Salad
- Easy Italian Caprese Salad
The Best Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Thinly slice the cucumbers, red onion and mince the dill. Place them into a large bowl.
- For the dressing combine sour cream, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, the sweetener in a small bowl and toss to coat cucumbers evenly.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: