This German creamy cucumber salad is easy, refreshing, and crunchy. It’s a summertime staple in our kitchen that’s perfect for a potluck, BBQ and it’s ready within minutes.
This classic cucumber salad is a delicious summer treat made with crunchy fresh cucumbers, red onion, fresh dill all tossed in a sweet and tangy, creamy sour cream dressing. It’s incredible how quick it is to make, and it’s the perfect side dish for every barbecue or picnic.
How to Make The Best Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream Dressing
Here’s how to make creamy cucumber salad in only three steps:
- Thinly slice the vegetables using a sharp knife or a mandoline. I love using fresh English Cucumbers or mini Persian Cucumbers. Red onions add great flavor to this cucumber salad.
- Combine the sweet and tangy cucumber salad dressing ingredients. You’ll need just a few common ingredients: sour cream, white vinegar, fresh dill, and spices. You can always substitute the sour cream for Greek yogurt for a light cucumber salad.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumbers and onions and mix to coat evenly. Enjoy cucumber onion salad immediately or let it sit for at least 1 hour before serving.
Make-Ahead Low Carb Cucumber Salad
Making cucumber salad ahead is possible and recommended. To make fresh creamy dill salad ahead, we head to get out the excess moisture from cucumber slices. This process is called “sweating” cucumbers. The reason we want to do it is to keep the cucumbers crispy, not soggy.
Line a baking sheet with a clean tea towel and line cucumber slices on the towel. Lightly sprinkle salt to coat all the cucumber slices. Let them sit for about 20-30 minutes and pat dry the cucumbers.
Make the dill dressing ahead and store in an airtight container. When it’s time to serve just combine the cucumbers, onion, and dressing. Garnish with extra fresh dill. It’s that easy to make a dill cucumber onion salad!
Can We Eat Cucumbers on Keto?
Yes, cucumbers are perfect for eating on keto; therefore, this keto cucumber salad is keto-friendly. Cucumbers are 96% water, low in calories and high in many vital vitamins and minerals.
According to USDA, 1/2 cups sliced cucumber provide:
- 8 calories
- 1.89 grams carbs
- 0.3 grams of dietary fiber
- 1.59 grams net carbs
- 0 grams fat
- 0 grams protein
You can find detailed nutrition facts for this creamy cucumber salad at the bottom of this post.
Other Delicious Recipes You Might Like
The Best Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 3 cups peeled cucumbers thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp minced fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Thinly slice the cucumbers, red onion and mince the dill. Place them into a large bowl.
- For the dressing combine sour cream, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, the sweetener in a small bowl and toss to coat cucumbers evenly.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.