This Keto Chicken Parmesan recipe is a classic family favorite. What’s not to love about a parmesan crusted chicken that’s incredibly juicy, then covered with a delicious tomato sauce and sprinkled generously with mozzarella shredded cheese?
Even better, this chicken parmesan recipe is grain-free, gluten-free, kid-approved, that is quick, easy to make, and delicious!
What is Chicken Parmesan?
Chicken Parmesan or Chicken Parm is an Italian-inspired recipe that’s also called Chicken Parmigiana. Pollo Alla Parmigiana( in Italian) is a crispy breaded chicken breast covered with tomato sauce and a layer of shredded cheese. Sometimes you can add ham or bacon.
The recipe is similar to melanzane alla parmigiana that uses fried sliced eggplant instead of chicken breast.
This recipe is a staple in Italian-American restaurants, and it’s one of the most ordered chicken recipes in the world.
Is Chicken Parmesan Keto?
Traditional chicken parmesan is made with flour, egg, and bread crumbs, which are not keto. However, you can easily replace those ingredients with keto-friendly ingredients such as parmesan cheese and almond flour.
Don’t worry. The chicken is moist, super flavorful, and loaded with plenty of cheese. This baked chicken parmesan is by far my favorite chicken recipe!
I will never forget the moment when I tried this recipe. I was with my family in Italy, and after a long day, we decided to go to a restaurant known for its seafood specialties. We ordered our food, but since my Italian wasn’t so good, I ended up with Chicken Parmesan on my plate and was pretty mad at first. But trust me, guys, when I take the first bite from this incredible dish, I froze.
The flavor of this Chicken Parmesan is dreamy, the texture is incredibly crispy, and the cheese…oh, the cheese was melting, and I didn’t stop until the plate was clean and the chicken disappeared. I remember it was served over al dente pasta! Incredible!
Since then, my mission has been to find the perfect recipe for this keto chicken parmesan. And guess what? That’s right, I found it.
Trust me, guys, when I say that this recipe is heavenly.
Ingredients for Chicken Parmesan
For this delicious chicken parmesan, you need just a few simple pantry ingredients that are very accessible:
- Chicken Breast – to speed up the cooking process, cut the chicken breast lengthwise in 2 or 3 pieces depending on the size.
- Eggs – To help the flour mixture, stick to the chicken. To make the egg wash, whisk together one egg.
- Parmesan Cheese – I recommend using grated parmesan cheese in the breading to give it the classic “chicken parmesan” flavor.
- Almond Flour – helps the recipe to keep it grain-free and low-carb. If you don’t care about carbs, use any flour you have on hand.
- Butter & Oil – To pan-fry the chicken and get it nice and crispy. You’ll need frying oil with a high smoke point. I love using both butter and olive oil, but you can use avocado oil.
- Garlic – feel free to substitute with garlic powder, but fresh is the best!
- Sweetener – maybe you are wondering why sweetener is used in this recipe. Well, the sweetener will cut off that sour taste from the sauce. Yes, we’ll make the sauce from scratch, but if you’re short on time, use your favorite Marinara Sauce.
- Mozzarella Cheese – You can use shredded or sliced mozzarella cheese.
- Italian Seasoning – I prefer the taste of homemade Italian Seasoning, but you can also use store-bought.
How To Make Keto Chicken Parmesan
It’s so easy to make this Keto Chicken Parmesan by following just a few simple steps. It’s so quick to make that I choose to make it on those busy days.
- Prepare the chicken breast – Start by slicing the chicken and seasoning it with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Make the egg wash by mixing the eggs with minced garlic and herbs, then dip each chicken breast in the egg mixture.
- Make gluten-free breading by combining almond flour and parmesan. If you want to be more cheesy, you can add a little bit more parmesan.
- Bread the chicken -Dip the chicken breast into the coating.Fry chicken – Add the butter and oil into a large pan over medium-high. Place each slice of chicken into the pan and sear for about 5 minutes, then turn over very carefully and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Make the tomato sauce – Saute the onion for a few minutes, then add the tomato puree and season it. Cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Assemble the dish – Pour half of the marinara sauce on the base of your baking dish, then add the chicken and top with the remaining sauce. Top with mozzarella and some parmesan.
- Broil chicken parmesan for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
Tips For Making Keto Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Try not to overcook the chicken. You need to have a juicy and flavorful chicken.
- Because the chicken breast is coated with parmesan cheese, you need to use a non-stick frying pan (or skillet). Cook
- Before attempting to sear the chicken, make sure your skillet is hot.
Is There a Substitute for Almond Flour?
Sure!! There are some substitutes for almond flour that will taste the same.
- Coconut Flour – works just as find and makes the crust super crispy.
- Pork Rinds – For a nut-free version, substitute almond flour with crushed pork rinds.
- Tapioca Flour
Can I Make Chicken Parmesan Recipe in the Air Fryer?
Sure, you can air fry your chicken for this recipe using your Air Fryer. Just spray the crumbed chicken with olive oil, place the chicken breast into the air fryer basket, and cook it for 8 minutes. Then, top the chicken with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese and the air fryer for about four minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
What to Serve With Chicken Parmesan
So many things go well with this keto chicken parmesan!
I like to serve it with side dishes such as a salad or zucchini noodles. Both provide additional nutrients while keeping the carbs low.
Otherwise, you may serve it with a variety of low-carb side dishes, such as:
- Cauliflower Rice – cauliflower gives many potential health advantages, including many vitamins, anti-inflammatory qualities, and the ability to help digestion.
- Crispy Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts – made with only four ingredients, these roasted Brussels are one of the best keto side dishes that pair perfectly with this chicken parmesan.
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Radishes – Radishes taste a little spicy and watery, but when we roast them in the oven, the magic happens.
- Zucchini noodles
Carbs In Chicken Parmesan
Classic chicken parmesan has about 50 grams of carbs for a serving, as the chicken is breaded with a wheat flour coating. On top of that, it’s usually served over pasta or with a side of french fries which could easily bring this meal to a whopping total of 180g total carbs.
How to Store Chicken Parmesan?
There are so many options to store this delicious Chicken Parmesan:
- You can freeze this chicken parmesan for about two months.
- You can refrigerate the leftover low-carb chicken parmesan for 3-4 days.
- To reheat– The best way to reheat chicken parmesan is in the oven or in an air fryer. I don’t recommend using the microwave as the crispy coating can get soggy.
Looking For More Chicken Recipes? Try these:
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Pizza Stuffed Chicken
- Juicy Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Easy Chicken Piccata – Keto Low Carb Lemon Chicken Recipe
- Easy Crack Chicken Recipe – Instant Pot or Slow Cooker – Keto Low-Carb
Crispy Keto Chicken Parmesan
- 2-3 large chicken breasts about 1 1/2 lbs, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs beaten until frothy
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 3 tbsp almond flour or 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
Homemade Marinara Sauce
- 14 oz tomato puree
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Sweetener
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese sliced or shredded
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped basil or parsley
- Prep the chicken – Trim chicken breast and slice in half lengthwise using a sharp knife to end up with 4-6 similar thickens cutlets. Season with Italian Seasoning, salt, and pepper on both sides.
- Make the egg wash – In a shallow bowl, stir together the eggs, minced garlic, Italian Seasoning, a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the chicken into the egg mixture.
- For the Coating – Combine the parmesan cheese and almond flour in a different shallow bowl.
- Make the tomato sauce – Place a medium-sized pot over medium heat and fry the onion until translucent and fragrant. Add the tomato puree, herbs, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce looks thickened.
- Cook – Use a fork or tongs to dredge the chicken in the parmesan mixture to coat on both sides. Shake off the excess and repeat with the remaining chicken cutlets.
- Fry – Place a non-stick pan over medium heat and add olive oil and butter. Fry 2 chicken coated with parmesan at a time for about 4 minutes. DO NOT MOVE THE CHICKEN as the coating may stick to the pan.
- Carefully flip the chicken on the other side to cook until crispy and golden brown. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Assemble the dish – Spread half of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a large greased baking dish. Sprinkle it with chili flakes and place the chicken on top. Top with the remaining sauce, add mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Broil for 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melty and bubbly. The chicken is cooked through when an instant-read temperature reads 165F.
- Serve immediately with freshly chopped basil or parsley.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: