Pizza Stuffed Chicken is an extremely easy to make low carb recipe that we make all the time at home. It’s super cheesy, flavorful, loaded with plenty of marinara sauce, pan-seared and baked to perfection.
Everyone loves this weeknight dinner, and it’s perfect for satisfying pizza cravings.
If you’re at that point where you’re getting the “WHAT’S FOR DINNER” question and you have no clue what you can make, I recommend this Cheesy Pizza Stuffed Chicken.
It’s not just easy to make, but everyone loves it. This means I don’t have to cook extra meals for the non-keto members of the family.
What’s not to love about a butterflied chicken breast that’s seasoned and stuffed with mozzarella, pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese?
It’s one of those recipes that’s the perfect fit for my chaotic and busy life. We try eating most of our meals at home, and to make everyone happy, I bake this tender chicken breast that’s very cheesy and tastes just like pizza.
Why Are You Going To Love This Pizza Stuffed Chicken Recipe
- It’s super easy to prepare and enjoy on a busy day when you don’t have so much time to cook.
- You can make it ahead of time.
- Made from naturally low-carb ingredients – so it’s perfect for someone who needs a keto-friendly dinner recipe.
- It’s a recipe full of flavor. The combination of juicy chicken breast, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni slice gives a heavenly explosion of flavors.
- Has only 4g net carbs per serving.
Watch our quick video to see exactly how to make this keto Pizza Stuffed Chicken.
What is Pizza Stuffed Chicken?
Pizza Stuffed Chicken is a delicious recipe that features the flavors of pizza with the tenderness of the chicken breast. It involves butterflying chicken breasts, which means cutting them horizontally to create a pocket for stuffing. The chicken breasts are then seasoned, stuffed with a combination of mozzarella cheese, pepperoni slices, and sometimes other pizza toppings like mushrooms or bell peppers.
The stuffed chicken breasts are rolled up, secured with toothpicks or kitchen twine if needed, and cooked until golden brown.
Pizza Stuffed Chicken Ingredients
This recipe doesn’t need any fancy ingredients. Here are all the ingredients:
- Chicken breasts – that are large enough to be butterflied and stuffed.
- Seasonings: I used salt, pepper, and my homemade Italian Seasoning. Feel free to use any of your favorite spices.
- Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Pepperoni slices
- Marinara sauce – Make sure your pizza sauce doesn’t have sugar added to save a few carbs, and make this dish keto-friendly.
- Fresh basil leaves
How to Make Keto Pizza Stuffed Chicken Breast
Pizza stuffed chicken is a delicious and easy-to-make dinner that features the flavors of pizza with juicy chicken.
Preparing The Chicken Breasts
To start, you’ll need to cut a little pocket into the side of the chicken breast that can be stuffed. It sounds complicated, but you can watch the video on the recipe card below to see exactly how to do it.
Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and Italian Seasoning.
Stuffing The Chicken
Fill the pockets with Pepperoni slices, mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil leaves. Secure the chicken with a few toothpicks.
Pan sear the breast until it gets a nice brown color. This step is essential for the best flavor, and it also greatly reduces the baking time.
Transfer the chicken breast to a baking dish. Top with more pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperoni slices.
I love to sprinkle my chicken with fresh basil leaves just before serving.
This is how you make one of our favorite chicken recipes.
Tips and Variations
- Use your favorite cheese: Feel free to experiment with other cheeses like cheddar, provolone, or a blend of cheeses for a unique flavor profile.
- Pan-sear before baking: Start by pan-searing the chicken rolls in a hot skillet with a little oil. This step helps to develop a golden-brown crust on the outside and locks in the flavors and juices.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through: Preheat your oven to the recommended temperature and bake the chicken rolls until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C). This ensures that the chicken is cooked thoroughly and eliminates any risk of undercooking.
- Let it rest before serving: Allow the Pizza Stuffed Chicken to rest for a few minutes before slicing into it. This helps to retain the juices and ensures a moist and tender result.
- Fridge: you can store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: wrap each stuffed chicken breast in plastic wrap, then store them in the freezer for up to 2 months.
When ready to enjoy, you can reheat the leftovers in the microwave for 1-minute intervals or in the oven for 10 minutes.
Although this pizza stuffed chicken recipe is extremely delicious, simple as it is, you can also enjoy it with your favorite side dish, such as:
- Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus
- Crispy Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Garlic Butter Mushrooms
- Baked Zucchini With Parmesan
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Know When My Stuffed Chicken Breast Is Ready?
The best way to check if the chicken breast is done is to use an internal thermometer and insert it in the thickest part of the chicken breast. If the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, your chicken breast is perfectly cooked.
Can I Make This Stuffed Chicken In The Air Fryer?
Sure, another great about this recipe is that you can choose how to cook it. If you want to make this recipe in the air fryer, prepare the stuffed chicken breast as we did in this recipe, then cook it in the air fryer at 370 degrees F for about 20 minutes.
Should I Seal The Chicken Breast?
This is an optional step. But if you want to prevent the stuffing ingredients from leaking out during cooking, seal the chicken breast with toothpicks or kitchen twine.
Other Chicken Recipes You’ll Love:
- Easy Creamy Chicken Marsala Recipe
- Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Pizza
- Creamy Garlic Shredded Chicken Soup
Pizza Stuffed Chicken
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Add about ½ cup marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9X13 inch pan.
- Using a sharp knife cut pockets into each chicken breast.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and Italian Seasoning.
- Add four slices of pepperoni in the chicken pocket, then add the mozzarella and basil leaves.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add two tablespoons of olive oil. Pan sear the chicken for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until it gets a light brown color.
- Transfer the chicken to the prepared dish and top with the remaining sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni slices.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle chopped basil and enjoy!
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.