Indulge in soft, chewy keto hot dog buns that are a breeze to make. With just 6 ingredients, you can whip up these low-carb buns in under 30 minutes and enjoy a guilt-free snack with only 5g net carbs.
So if you are on a keto diet and craving some delicious hot dogs, this recipe is exactly what you need. These gluten-free hot dog buns are made from low-carb ingredients and will satisfy your cravings without mooring about extra carbs.
My family and friends are huge fans of hot dogs, burgers, and fast food dishes, so when we are having a party or just a weekend dinner, we often like to prepare a keto version of them to ensure we eat something delicious and healthy at the same time. And today, I choose to share our stunning keto hot dog buns recipe.
What Are Hot Dogs?
Served on a bun with various condiments, sauces, and vegetables, hot dogs are a type of sausage made from a mixture of ground beef, pork, or turkey and various spices and flavorings.
Are Hot Dog Buns Keto-Friendly?
No, regular hot dog buns are typically made from wheat flour, which is high in carbohydrates. A traditional bun (53g) has 24 grams of carbs per serving.
Luckily, with this low carb keto hot dog buns recipe, you can enjoy the same texture and flavor of regular hot dog buns, without all those carbs.
Why Are You Going To Love This Keto Hot Dog Buns Recipe?
- Great for meal prep. Just make the buns ahead of time and store them until you are ready to assemble and enjoy.
- Made from naturally low-carb ingredients.
- Super easy to make in under 30 minutes.
- It’s a versatile recipe. Use these buns for more than just hot dogs and sausages – try using them as a bun for burgers, sandwiches, or even as a side to a bowl of soup.
- Only 5g net carbs per serving.
You will be surprised to see that you need only a few ingredients to create these delicious fluffy hot dog buns. Here is a list of everything you will need:
- Almond Flour and Coconut Flour – you will need both superfine, blanched almond, and coconut flour for the fluffiest texture.
- Baking Powder – helps the hot dog buns rise.
- Mozzarella Cheese – try using pre-shredded part skim, not regular mozzarella that holds too much moisture.
- Cream Cheese – you will need full-fat softened cream cheese.
- Eggs – help to bind everything together.
- Salt – to taste. Helps enhance all the flavors.
How To Make These Keto Hot Dog Buns
Making and enjoying hot dogs has never been easier during a keto diet. Trust me, even the most unskilled kitchen workers can make keto-friendly hot dog buns. Here is everything you have to do:
Making the Dough
Add the shredded mozzarella and cream cheese to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for one minute until melted.
Remove the bowl from the microwave, whisk them together, and let it cool for a few minutes.
Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt to another bowl and whisk until well combined.
Add the melted cheese mixture over the dry ingredients and two eggs. Mix using your hands until all the ingredients are well combined.
Forming The Buns
Transfer the buns dough onto plastic foil and shape it into a ball.
Remove the plastic foil and divide the batter into 4 pieces.
Shape each piece of dough using your hands into a hot dog bun and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
Baking Keto Hot Dog Buns
Whisk the third egg and brush the buns using a pastry brush.
Bake the buns for 20 minutes or until golden brown on the outside.
Remove the buns from the oven, slice them down the middle, add the hot dogs, top with sauces, and enjoy.
Tips For Making Keto Hot Dog Buns
- Ensure that the mozzarella is fully melted before adding in the eggs.
- Let the melted cheese chill for a few minutes before adding the eggs. Otherwise, they will start cooking.
- Don’t overmix the dough since this can cause the buns to become tough and dense.
- If you want to make smaller buns, divide the dough into 8 logs.
How To Serve
Here are some delicious serving ideas for these keto hot dog buns:
- Regular Hot Dogs: Serve hot dogs in keto buns with sugar-free ketchup, mustard, green onion, and chopped parsley.
- You can also top these hot dogs with homemade keto chili and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Serve these delicious keto hot dogs with some keto french fries or zucchini fries.
Storing Keto Hot Dog Buns
- Fridge: you can store these keto hot god buns in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- Freezer: These keto hot dog buns are also freezer friendly. Just freeze them in plastic foil for up to 3 months.
Thaw them in the fridge overnight and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make Keto Hot Dog Buns Ahead Of Time?
Sure, prepare and bake the keto buns as we did in this recipe, then let them cool completely and store them in the fridge until you want to enjoy them in your favorite way.
Can I Make Burger Buns Using This Recipe?
Definitely, you can. Just make the dough as we did in this recipe and shape it into burger buns. Then bake them for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
More Keto Bread Recipes
- The Best Keto Buns with Almond Flour and Psyllium – 2g net carbs
- The Best Keto Bagels with Almond Flour
- Italian Herb Keto Bread – 2g Net Carbs
- Easy Keto Tortillas
- The Best Keto Cloud Bread (Oopsie Bread Recipe)
- Vegan Keto Bread – Best Eggless Low Carb Bread
Keto Hot Dog Buns
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the shredded mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in another bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add the melted cheese mixture to the dry ingredients and the two eggs. Mix using your hands well combined.
- Transfer the buns dough onto plastic foil and shape it into a ball.
- Remove the plastic foil and divide the batter into 6 pieces.
- Shape each piece of dough into a hot dog bun and place them on the baking sheet.
- Brush the buns with the third egg using a pastry brush.
- Bake the buns for 20 minutes.
- Remove the buns from the oven, slice them down the middle, add the hot dogs, top with sauces, and enjoy.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: