This Keto Pumpkin Mug Cake Recipe is a super quick and flavorful fall low carb dessert that’s easy to make in just 3 minutes. If you love pumpkin, this gluten-free mug cake is the way to get that pumpkin fix. And it’s only 4g net carbs per serving!
I’m always impressed with how quick and easy it is to make a keto dessert in a mug. It takes less than 5 minutes from start to finish, and you get to enjoy a grain-free tasty pumpkin mug cake. Before keto, I wasn’t a fan of mug cakes as I didn’t like the spongy texture, but keto mug cakes are way better, super fluffy, and buttery!
Today’s star is this single-serve healthy sugar-free pumpkin mug cake that screams FALL, and you can top it with homemade whipped cream or chocolate chips.
By the way, if you enjoy this recipe, you can find more festive keto recipes, perfect for holidays in my new The Keto Holidays 40+ recipes e-cookbook.
Thanksgiving is so close, and all you can think is of that pumpkin bread you can’t wait to devour. Well, while on my blog, I have a recipe for a delicious keto pumpkin bread you have to try. This single-serving keto pumpkin mug cake tastes the same.
It’s so delicious and so fast! A classic pumpkin bread takes more than one hour to bake. This sugar-free pumpkin mug cake takes less than 3 minutes.
What is A Pumpkin Mug Cake?
A Pumpkin Mug Cake is a single-serving dessert that captures the essence of fall, combining ingredients like pumpkin puree, spices, and a few baking essentials to create a quick treat.
Mixed directly in a mug and “baked” in a microwave, this convenient dessert offers the warmth and flavor of traditional pumpkin desserts in just a couple of minutes.
Often served with whipped cream or a sprinkle of cinnamon, it’s the go-to for those craving a swift pumpkin-infused indulgence without the commitment of baking a full-sized cake or pie.
Is Pumpkin Keto?
Yes, pumpkin is keto-friendly and can be incorporated into your meals in moderation. Specifically, 100 grams of pumpkin has about 6-8 grams of net carbohydrates.
Using it as a flavoring in dishes or in keto pumpkin desserts like this pumpkin mug cake can be suitable, but it might not be ideal to consume it as a primary vegetable side dish frequently.
Ingredients for Keto Pumpkin Mug Cake
- Pumpkin Puree – Canned or homemade, make sure to use pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling that is loaded with sugar.
- Butter – Melted butter is the best here as it adds such a tasty buttery flavor. You can use coconut oil if you’re looking for a dairy-free pumpkin mug cake alternative. The texture is similar if using either of these fats, but there will be a slight difference in taste as the coconut oil adds a coconut flavor.
- Eggs – Only one egg is required for this single serving keto dessert in a mug, and it’s best to use a large egg at room temperature. It’s important to use a large egg because when baking with coconut flour. If there’s not enough liquid, the mug cake can become super dry!
- Sweetener – My top pick for a sweetener without an aftertaste is the Monk Fruit Blend, which can seamlessly replace sugar in any recipe. For a paleo-friendly pumpkin mug cake, I suggest using an equal quantity of coconut sugar or another paleo-approved sweetener.
- Baking Powder – Ensure it’s fresh for the best results, and remember not to confuse it with baking soda, as they have different properties.
- Pumpkin Spice Seasoning – his ingredient truly brings out the quintessential fall flavor in the pumpkin mug cake. My preference is to use about 1/2 tsp, or you can craft a blend using cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves.
How to Make Keto Pumpkin Mug Cake?
It’s super easy to make this sugar-free keto pumpkin mug cake once you gather all the ingredients.
Making the Mug Cake Batter
Combining Wet Ingredients: In a medium-sized bowl, crack the egg and add the melted butter. If you’re using a liquid keto sweetener, this is the time to pour it in as well.
Gently sprinkle in the baking powder, ensuring there are no lumps. Add your spices – whether a premixed pumpkin spice blend or individual spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves. Whisk everything together with a fork, ensuring the mixture is uniform and smooth.
Mixing in Pumpkin and Coconut Flour: Add the pumpkin puree to the mixture, folding it in gently. Slowly sift in the coconut flour, stirring continuously to avoid any lumps. Your batter should begin to take on a thicker consistency.
Adjusting Batter Consistency: If you find your batter overly thick or not coming together as you’d hoped, a splash of unsweetened almond milk or pumpkin milk can do wonders. Add one tablespoon at a time, mixing after each addition, until you reach the desired consistency.
Microwave Mug Cake
Pour your batter into a microwave-safe mug, leaving some space at the top to allow for rising.
Microwave on high for approximately 2 minutes. The exact time might vary depending on your microwave’s power, so keep an eye on it. Your mug cake should rise and feel firm yet springy to the touch when done.
Serving Mug Cakes
Let your mug cake cool for a minute or two. Then, it’s time for the fun part – garnishing!
Top with sugar-free whipped cream or keto caramel for a creamy contrast.
Sprinkle some pumpkin spice for that extra autumnal touch.
Chocolate chips will melt slightly on the warm cake, adding gooey pockets of sweetness.
And if you’re in the mood for a bit of crunch, some candied pecans or even walnuts will elevate your mug cake to gourmet levels.
Can I Make this Mug Cake in the Oven?
Absolutely! If you prefer not to use a microwave or if you’re making multiple servings, the oven is a great option for baking your keto pumpkin mug cake. Here’s a concise way to put it:
Yes, this keto pumpkin mug cake can be baked in the oven. If opting for this method, simply use an oven-safe ramekin, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C), and bake the mug cake for 15-18 minutes, or until the top sets and a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
The benefit of oven-baking is the ability to make several at once. Once baked, you can store these pumpkin mug cakes in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or freeze them for longer storage, up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to enjoy a frozen one, thaw it in the refrigerator or at room temperature before heating.
Storing Ideas For Pumpkin Mug Cakes
- Fridge: After letting the pumpkin mug cake cool to room temperature, wrap it carefully in plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out. Place it inside an airtight container to further ensure its freshness. The cake can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheating: Before indulging, reheat the refrigerated mug cake in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds or until warm throughout.
- Freezer: The keto pumpkin mug cake is indeed freezer-friendly. Once cooled, wrap the cake in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil or place it in a freezer-safe container or bag. For optimal flavor and texture, it’s best to consume the frozen mug cake within 1 month.
- Thawing: To enjoy, remove the mug cake from the freezer and allow it to thaw in the refrigerator for several hours or at room temperature for about an hour. Once thawed, you can reheat it in the microwave for a warm treat.
More Keto Pumpkin Recipes
My blog is filled with delicious low carb fall recipes:
- Simple Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- Super Easy Keto Pumpkin Muffins
- Fluffy Low Carb and Keto Pumpkin Mousse
- The Ultimate No-Fail Low Carb Keto Pumpkin Pie
Keto Pumpkin Mug Cake – Ready in 3 minutes!
- Prepare Your Mug: Ensure your mug is microwave-safe.
- Mix Wet Ingredients: In the mug, whisk together the large egg, melted butter (or coconut oil), and sweetener until smooth.
- Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and baking powder until well-combined.
- Stir in the Pumpkin Puree: Add the pumpkin puree to the mixture, ensuring it's uniformly blended.
- Add Coconut Flour: Gradually stir in the coconut flour, mixing thoroughly until the batter is smooth without any lumps.
- Microwave: Microwave the mug on high for 2 minutes. Depending on the power of your microwave, you may need to adjust the time slightly. The cake should rise and the top should be firm to t.
- Serve: Carefully remove the mug from the microwave (it will be hot!). Allow the cake to cool for a minute. Top with whipped cream, if desired, and sprinkle with some additional pumpkin spice or cinnamon for extra flavor.
- Tip: If you prefer a moister cake, reduce the microwave time by 10-15 seconds.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.