This delicious Watermelon Salad is a must-try for its irresistible sweet and savory combination of juicy watermelon and salty feta cheese. Learn how to make the best watermelon salad with feta and cucumber that’s super refreshing, thanks to the mint and lime dressing.
So if you are looking for a refreshing dish to beat the summer heat, look no further than this watermelon & feta salad! Besides being loaded with delicious flavors, this salad is also packed with dietary fiber from the watermelon and healthy fats from the feta cheese, so it’s a win-win for both your taste and your well-being.
Make this recipe and elevate your salad game with our refreshing Watermelon Salad With Feta. Just imagine – the juicy texture of melon chunks, creamy feta cheese, and the refreshing crunch of cucumber, all combined with a zesty lemon dressing.
During the spring and summer seasons, I no longer crave comforting foods like soups or stews, and I start enjoying fresh salads like this easy watermelon salad, strawberry spinach salad, spring mix salad, and BLT salad.
What Is A Watermelon Salad?
Have you ever heard of a watermelon salad? It’s become a popular dish around the world, but what is it exactly? Well, I’m here to tell you!
A typical watermelon salad consists of fresh diced watermelon combined with other ingredients like feta cheese, cucumber, red onions, and a delicious lime dressing or balsamic dressing. The key ingredient, however, is always the juicy sweet-tart watermelon. This simple yet delicious meal can be served as a side dish or enjoyed on its own.
Why Are You Going To Love This Watermelon Feta Salad Recipe
- It’s an extremely easy and quick-to-make recipe.
- Perfect for any occasion.
- Customizable recipe. Feel free to personalize this salad according to your preferences.
- Loaded with healthy ingredients.
- It’s extremely versatile.
- It’s a refreshing and hydrating recipe perfect for those hot summer days.
Watermelon Salad Recipe Ingredients
This delicious and easy-to-make watermelon cucumber salad requires super easy-to-find ingredients, especially in the summer season. So check the following list and note everything you will need:
- Watermelon – this is the main ingredient of this salad, which bring a burst of refreshing summer flavor to the dish. Buy a ripe watermelon by checking for a firm and symmetrical shape. The flesh should be firm and juicy when cut into slices.
- Cucumber – use fresh and crisp cucumbers for the best flavor.
- Red Onion – you will need one medium red onion sliced super thin.
- Feta Cheese – adds a savory element to the salad that completes perfectly with the juicy watermelon. Buy a piece of high-quality fresh feta and crumble it.
- Fresh Mint – adds a refreshing and cooling flavor to the watermelon salad that perfectly balances all the recipe’s flavors.
- Olive Oil – used to create the dressing for this recipe. Feel free to replace it with any other vegetable oil.
- Lemon Juice- the zesty flavor of the lemon completes all the flavor from this recipe creating the perfect watermelon salad.
- Honey – use a low-carb alternative to avoid extra carbs.
How To Make Watermelon Salad
Making this easy watermelon salad with feta recipe is extremely easy since there’s no cooking involved. However, here are the instructions that you have to follow:
Preparing The Watermelon
Wash the watermelon and remove any dirt or impurities.
Start by slicing your watermelon in half, then into thin wedges, then cut out the rind before dicing or cubing the flesh. For smaller pieces, you can also use a melon baller to scoop out perfectly round chunks. As for cubes, make sure they’re all roughly the same size so that everything cooks evenly and looks uniform on your plate.
Don’t forget to take off those seeds before cutting if they are still attached!
Once diced, transfer the watermelon pieces into a large bowl and set aside.
Making The Dressing
Add the lime juice, honey, and olive oil to a mason jar or bowl and whisk until well combined. Then set aside while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
Assembling the Watermelon Feta Mint Salad
Now it’s time to add the sliced cucumbers, red onion, feta cheese, chopped mint, and that delicious dressing. Mix until well combined.
You can mix in some nuts or seeds like almonds or sunflower seeds for an extra layer of flavor. Raisins also work amazingly in summer salads and give them a nice chewy texture.
Tips For Making The Best Watermelon Salad With Feta
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad just before serving it to prevent the watermelon from getting soggy.
- Choose a ripe and juicy watermelon.
- Chop everything into even bite-sized for a beautiful visual appeal.
- Pat dry the watermelon cubes with a paper towel before adding them to the salad to avoid a watery dish.
- Adding crunchy nuts such as pistachios or almonds can make this summer salad even more delicious.
- Add some crumbled crispy bacon for an extra crunchy and smoky flavor.
- For more exotic flavor, you can also combine watermelon with spicy ingredients such as jalapeño peppers or chili flakes.
- Chopped hazelnuts, cashews, or almonds are also perfect for this watermelon salad.
- Not a fan of Mint? Use fresh basil or fresh dill instead.
- Pair your watermelon salad with some fresh greens like baby spinach or arugula.
- You can also add some avocado chunks for an extra taste and creaminess.
- If you want to make a vegan watermelon salad, omit the feta cheese or replace it with your favorite vegan cheese.
- Add some other fruits, like raspberries or blueberries for a pop of color and flavor.
What To Serve With Watermelon Feta Salad
Once the watermelon salad has been prepared to perfection, it’s time to think about how we can best serve this delicious dish.
You’ll be surprised to learn that with its sweet and salty balance, this easy summer side could be a side for an outdoor BBQ or picnic-style gathering and would work especially well with grilled meats like steak or chicken.
For more formal occasions, such as dinner parties or other events, you could also present the salad on its own on individual plates as an appetizer.
Storing Any Leftovers
Storing this Watermelon Salad can be challenging due to the water content of the watermelon. So, if there are any leftovers, you can refrigerate the salad in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make This Watermelon Salad With Feta Ahead?
I like enjoying my salads fresh since they usually get soggy super fast.
When it comes to watermelon salad, you can certainly prepare some of the components in advance and assemble them when you’re ready to serve. For instance, you could chop up all the ingredients like cucumber, feta cheese, nuts, herbs, and fruits ahead of time and store them separately in airtight containers or bags until you need them. The same goes for dressing – mix together your favorite combination of olive oil, lemon juice, honey (or other sweetener) and spices into one container so that everything’s already prepared by mealtime!
Can I Use A Different Type Of Cheese Instead Of Feta?
Sure, feel free to experiment with different types of cheese if you prefer. Some great ideas will be goat cheese, queso fresco, or even a mild blue cheese; these type of cheese completes perfectly with the sweet flavor of watermelon.
Is This Salad Healthy?
Yes, besides being super delicious, this watermelon salad is also a healthy choice due to its high water content and nutrient profile. Rich in vitamins and antioxidants, this salad recipe it’s a healthier option for those who care about their health.
Is Watermelon Salad Gluten Free?
Yes, watermelon salad is gluten-free as it includes watermelon as well as vegetables such as tomatoes or cucumbers. These ingredients don’t normally include any gluten components, so they should generally be safe for someone on a gluten-free diet. However, feta cheese could potentially contain gluten, depending on how it’s made.
More Salad Recipes
- Easy Italian Caprese Salad Recipe
- Greek Salad
- Easy Wedge Salad Recipe
- Antipasto Salad
- The Best Creamy Cucumber Salad
Delicious Watermelon Salad
- Make the dressing by mixing the lime juice, olive oil, honey, and salt in a large bowl.
- Wash and cut the watermelon into bite-sized cubes.
- Wash and chop the other vegetables, then place them in a large bowl.
- Add the watermelon cubes over the vegetables, then add the chopped mint and mix until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a salad bowl, add the crumbled feta cheese, and drizzle the dressing. Toss to combine and serve.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: