These baked chicken wings are incredibly crispy, perfectly spiced, and a staple in our kitchen. Seasoned with the best seasonings, baking chicken wings in the oven is one of the easiest ways to make healthy and flavorful wings.
This crispy oven-baked chicken wings recipe is a very simple but super tasty appetizer that can be served on any occasion. Delicious served plain, these crispy wings are even better drenched in your favorite sauce.
I love chicken wings with crispy, slightly spicy skin, and I’ve been looking for a healthier alternative. Since these wings are baked instead of fried, and the ingredients are super simple, these have become my newest addiction, and I make them super often.
Raise your hands if you’re a chicken wings fan! It is an easy chicken recipe to make that both children and adults always love.
Want to know the best part about this recipe? It’s healthier, avoiding frying in that oil bath, and the result? Equally crispy chicken wings.
It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and season the wings, then at most 45 minutes to roast in the oven until crispy and golden.
Why Are You Going To Love This Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
- Healthier than fried chicken wings.
- The perfect appetizer or snack at any party or game day.
- Almost mess-free since they are not fried.
- Extremely crispy and juicy.
- 10 minutes prep!
Chicken Wings Seasoning
I tend to keep things simple, and for this recipe, I used my Homemade Chicken Seasoning, that’s super versatile and easy to make. But, of course, you can use any seasonings you prefer.
Just for inspiration, these are my top favorite seasonings to use for chicken wings:
How Much Seasoning To Use?
The key to perfectly spiced chicken wings is to use 1 tablespoon of seasoning mix for 1 pound of wings.
Ingredients For Baked Chicken Wings
You will need just a few easy ingredients to make the best chicken wings. Here’s a note on the ingredients:
- Chicken Wings- make sure you cut their wing tips or buy them ready cut. You’ll need about 3 pounds of wings cut into wingettes and drumettes.
- Chicken Seasoning– I love making chicken seasoning at home, but store-bought chicken seasoning is a great option.
- Salt&Pepper – to taste since the chicken seasoning may already have salt.
- Olive oil – or butter to help the seasoning stick.
How To Make Baked Chicken Wings
In my humble opinion, you can never go wrong with chicken wings. They are inexpensive, easy to make, super tender, and perfect for a family dinner. Here’s everything you’ll need to do to make perfect baked chicken wings:
- Start by preheating the oven to 400F, then place a piece of aluminum foil in a baking tray, then place the wire rack. This step helps the fat to drain into the tray so that the wings remain as crisp as possible.
- Prepare the chicken wings– Remove the wingtips. This piece contains only skin and bone, and it makes no sense to cook it in the oven; it will burn without giving us much.
- Season the chicken wings- Add the wings to a large bowl and cover with olive oil and seasonings. Toss to combine.
- Arrange the chicken wings on the wire rack in a single layer.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165F. Check by using a meat thermometer for the most accurate results.
How long Does it Take to Cook Wings at 400?
Bake the wings in the preheated oven at 400°F for 40-45 minutes, or until they look crispy on the edges and the meat falls off the bone easily.
Can I Bake Frozen Wings?
When baking frozen wings, the cooking time increases by 10-15 minutes. I highly recommend thawing the wings first for the most crispy wings in the oven.
Can I Make This Recipe On Air Fryer?
Sure, making crispy chicken wings in an Air Fryer is super easy. First, season the wings, then preheat the Air Fryer to 400F. Cook for 8-10 minutes on each side or until golden.
Tips For Making The Best Crispy Baked Wings
- Pat dry the wings with clean paper towels to get super crispy skin.
- Use baking powder to coat the wings for extra crispiness.
- The wingtips can be used for making chicken stock.
Tips and Variations
- Feel free to add your favorite seasoning to season the wings.
- Add some red pepper chilly flakes for making a spicier dish.
- Instead of adding olive oil over the wings, you can wait to see how well browned they are during the cooking process, and if needed, spray them with olive oil.
- You can add some freshly grated parmesan cheese over the wings ten minutes before they are ready.
Side Dishes For Chicken Wings
If you serve these wings as an entree instead of an appetizer, you can pair them with various delicious side dishes! Here are our favorites:
- You can make some delicious Fries.
- They pair perfectly with some Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower or Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes.
- Vegetables and Blue Cheese Dressing.
How To Store Leftovers
- Fridge: If you have any leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight jar in the fridge for five days.
- Freezer: Another great thing about this recipe is that you can store them in the fridge in a freezer bag for up to two months. Allow the wings to defrost overnight and reheat them in the oven when you want to eat them.
- To reheat: The best way to reheat these chicken wings is in the over or in the air fryer.
How To Properly Prepare The Chicken Wings Before Cooking
- Start by cleaning the chicken wings.
- Place the chicken wings on its belly and grab a wing with your hand, holding it up. Cut the chicken’s wing with the other hand, slowly growing into the skin, little by little, to come off the bone.
- Then the wingtips, the part where you have only bone and skin, must be cut. Most often, this part is thrown away. But it can still be used to make chicken soup for a certain food.
- You will be left with the chicken wing, which can be used as such or can be cut in two or three, depending on the preparation you want to make.
Looking for More Chicken Recipes? Try these:
- Juicy Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Juicy Air Fryer Naked Chicken Tenders
- Easy Baked Lemon Garlic Chicken Recipe
- Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/ 200°C. Line a sheet pan with foil and place a wire rack on top.
- If you’re using whole chicken wings, cut the tips off and separate the drumettes and the wingettes.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and toss with olive oil.
- Add the seasonings and toss until evenly coated.
- Arrange the chicken wings in a single layer on the rack.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: