This easy Fried Cabbage is a quick, easy to make side dish recipe that’s ready in under 20 minutes. Make an incredibly delicious sautéed cabbage that’s perfectly caramelized and loaded with crisp bacon bits.
It’s been a long time since I’ve been so excited about a cabbage side dish recipe that’s not homemade coleslaw or my favorite unstuffed cabbage roll soup. But if you’re looking for a super simple yet satisfying and delicious cabbage recipe, I’m sure this fried cabbage will become a favorite.
A perfectly tender and slightly spicy fried cabbage recipe with onions and crispy bacon is a staple in our house. Pairs incredibly with pork roast, juicy steak, or oven-baked chicken thighs.
Enjoy a quick one-pan recipe that’s perfect for meal prep, reheat well, and super inexpensive. Reheat it in your microwave or on the stove.
Wow, it’s amazing!
Why Are You Going To Love Fried Cabbage Recipe
- It’s extremely easy to make with only 5 ingredients.
- The perfect low-carb side dish that everyone enjoys.
- Loaded with crispy bacon bits.
How Do You Cut Cabbage for Frying?
Take a whole head of cabbage and cut it in half through the middle. Cut each cabbage half in half again and remove the hard core. Slice each quarter into thin pieces.
Ingredients For Fried Cabbage
I know that cooking with cabbage might seem weird, and you either love it or hate it. But, this is seriously the best cabbage recipe made with just a few common ingredients:
- Cabbage- make sure that you chop or shred cabbage into bite-sized pieces so it cooks evenly.
- Bacon- for this recipe, I prefer using thick-cut bacon as we’ll need the bacon grease to fry the cabbage.
- Chilli Flakes- for an extra kick. You can use black pepper, Cajun seasoning, or smoked paprika.
- Salt&Pepper- add salt at the end as cooked bacon is salty.
How To Make Fried Cabbage
You will be surprised to see how easy it is to fry cabbage in bacon grease. Here is everything you have to do:
- Start by cooking the bacon until golden and crispy, then transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon. We’ll need the bacon grease!
- Cook the onion for 5-8 minutes until soft and tender.
- Stir in the chopped cabbage, and cook for 10-15 minutes or until slightly tender.
- Return the bacon to the pan, and mix well to warm through.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!!
Tips For Making The Best Fried Cabbage
- Reduce the cooking time by shredding the cabbage. This can be done using a food processor or a sharp knife.
- You can use unsalted butter for cooking the cabbage and onion.
- Make sure that you don’t overcook the cabbage; you don’t want your cabbage to get too soft.
- Cook the cabbage gently at low heat to caramelize it. This adds a lot of flavor without adding any sugar!
- You can replace the bacon with turkey bacon or vegan bacon for a vegetarian fried cabbage recipe.
- To avoid all the ingredients sticking to the pan, use a non-stick pan.
- Use some smoked sausage instead of bacon.
- I like to add some fresh dill at the end, and it tastes great.
- I love to fry the classic green cabbage, but Chinese cabbage or red cabbage are great too.
- For a zip of flavor, add some apple cider vinegar.
- Cook the cabbage for a few more minutes if you’re looking for a super soft fried cabbage.
Can I Make Fried Cabbage Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! This recipe can be made three days in advance. Then, when ready to serve, just add the bacon bits. It reheats nicely in a pan or microwave.
How to Store
- Fridge: If you have any leftovers, you can transfer them in an airtight container. Store Sautéed Cabbage leftovers in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- To reheat: You can reheat the fried cabbage on the stovetop or in the microwave when you’re ready to eat it again.
- Freezer: You can also freeze fried cabbage. Place the cabbage in a freezer bag, pressing out any excess air before closing completely. Freeze for up to two months. The texture might slightly change, but it’s still delicious! Before reheating, allow it to defrost in the refrigerator.
Ways to Serve Fried Cabbage
When I make this recipe, I like to eat it hot and as simple as it is, but you can use it as a side dish for many main dishes. Here are some of the best ideas:
- I like the combination of this fried cabbage and cauliflower mashed potatoes.
- It is also great served with some Air Fryer Naked Chicken Tenders.
- Roasted Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Garlic Herb Butter Roasted Turkey Breast
Looking for More Vegetable Side Dishes? Try these:
- Crispy Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Crispy Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower Recipe
- Garlic Butter Mushrooms – 15 Minute Side Dish
- Easy Baked Zucchini with Parmesan
Easy Fried Cabbage
- 1 small head green cabbage about 10 cups of chopped cabbage
- 6 slices bacon cut into small pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes or smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon pieces over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon and place it on a plate. Keep the bacon grease!
- Cook the onion in the same pan for 5-8 minutes until translucent.
- Add in cabbage and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the bacon and season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes to taste. Serve warm!
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: