Satisfy your pizza cravings without compromising your keto or low-carb diet with the best Keto Calzone recipe. This mouth-watering calzone offers all the flavors you love, but with way fewer carbs. Packed with a flavorful filling and wrapped in a golden brown low carb crust, this keto calzone will leave you craving for more.
Whether you’re looking for a quick lunch, a filling dinner, or a crowd-pleasing appetizer, our Keto Calzone is a fantastic choice. It’s the ultimate comfort food that keeps you on the right track, allowing you to enjoy the flavors you love without the carb overload.
This Keto Calzone is baked to perfection, and has a super crispy, golden crust that is as satisfying to the eyes as it is to the taste buds.
Our keto calzone recipe offers a delightful twist on traditional pizza flavors without the classic fathead dough from the classic keto pizza recipe.
Instead, we’ve crafted a unique blend of almond flour, coconut flour, cream cheese, and a touch of xanthan gum for the perfect texture. This specially crafted dough provides a low-carb and gluten-free base that perfectly encases a rich filling of creamy ricotta cheese, melty mozzarella, Parmesan, and savory pepperoni slices.
Enjoy every bite of this satisfying, homemade treat that allows you to stay true to your keto goals without sacrificing taste.
What Is Calzone?
Similar to pizza, a calzone is a savory Italian pastry made from pizza dough folded in half, then filled with a tantalizing combination of ingredients such as cheese, meat, and various vegetables.
This folded delight is baked in the oven until it reaches perfection, resulting in a golden brown crust that offers a satisfying crunch with each bite.
Calzones can be enjoyed in various ways – as a delicious snack, a flavorful appetizer, or a hearty main dish. The best part? You can customize the fillings to suit your personal taste and preferences, making it a versatile and crowd-pleasing option for everyone.
Is Calzone Keto-Friendly?
Regular calzones are typically not considered keto-friendly due to the high carbohydrate content of the traditional pizza dough used to make them.
However, with some modifications, you can create a keto-friendly version of a calzone. By substituting traditional wheat flour with low-carb alternatives like almond flour or coconut flour, you can significantly reduce the carb content and make it suitable for a keto diet.
Why Are You Going To Love This Keto Calzone Recipe
- Loaded with your favorite pizza flavors: Each bite delivers the perfect combination of tangy tomato sauce, melty cheese, and savory fillings that will satisfy your pizza cravings.
- Meal prep: Prepare this Keto Calzone in advance and enjoy the convenience of having a delicious meal ready when you need it. Simply assemble the calzones, refrigerate or freeze them, and bake when desired.
- Versatile: Add your favorite fillings to make each calzone a unique culinary creation. Whether it’s adding extra veggies, experimenting with different cheeses, or incorporating your preferred protein options, the possibilities are endless.
- Easy to make: Don’t be intimidated by the idea of making calzones from scratch. Our recipe is designed to be super easy to follow, even for beginners. With simple steps and clear instructions, you’ll have delicious, homemade Keto Calzones that taste just as good as the traditional ones.
Ingredients For Keto Calzone Recipe
This is one of those delicious recipes made using ingredients that are easy to find in almost any store or your pantry. Here is a list of everything you will need:
For The Dough
- Almond and Coconut Flour – For the best texture and to avoid any lumps, it’s recommended to use superfine, blanched almond flour, and coconut flour.
- Eggs – The eggs play a crucial role in binding all the ingredients together.
- Cream Cheese – Cream cheese is a key ingredient that creates a smooths and elastic texture similar to regular pizza dough.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is used in the dough to provide moisture and richness, making your keto calzones absolutely delicious.
- Xanthan Gum – Xanthan gum is a natural thickening agent that plays a crucial role in helping the dough hold its shape. It gives the calzones a sturdy structure, allowing them to maintain their form during baking.
- Garlic Powder – gives the dough an extra delicious garlic flavor.
- Salt – used to enhance all the flavors.
For The Filling
- Ricotta Cheese – adds a creamy and slightly sweet flavor that pairs perfectly with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pizza Sauce – Use your favorite pizza sauce.
- Mozzarella&Parmesan Cheese – you can also use your favorite type of cheese.
- Pepperoni Slices – If you’re not a fan of pepperoni, feel free to substitute it with your favorite salami, ham, or any other protein you like.
- Italian Seasoning – I prefer making my own Italian seasoning.
How To Make Keto Calzone Recipe
Now that you’ve seen the ingredients needed, let me show you how incredibly easy it is to make one of the most delicious calzone recipes. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
Preheat The Oven
Preheat your oven to 350F/190C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent the calzones from sticking.
Making The Dough
In a food processor bowl, combine the salt, garlic powder, xanthan gum, almond flour, and coconut flour. Pulse the ingredients together until well combined and free of lumps.
Next, add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture. Drop in 1 egg, softened butter, and cream cheese. Pulse the food processor until a sticky batter forms. Be careful not to overmix.
Shape the dough into a ball and wrap it tightly in plastic foil. Place it in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes. Chilling the dough will make it easier to work with and help it retain its shape during baking.
Assemble The Keto Calzone
Divide the chilled dough into 6 equal portions.
Roll each portion into an 8-inch circle between two sheets of parchment paper. This prevents the dough from sticking and makes it easier to handle.
Add one tablespoon of pizza sauce, pepperoni slices, and shredded cheese onto one half of each dough circle. Be mindful not to overfill to prevent the calzones from bursting open during baking.
Gently fold the other half of the dough over the filling and press the edges firmly to seal. You can roll and crimp the edges for a decorative touch. If the dough seems dry, lightly moisten the edges with water to help seal them.
Bake The Calzone
Place the assembled calzones on the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between them for even baking. Brush the tops with an egg wash made by whisking an egg with a pinch of salt. The egg wash will give the calzones a beautiful golden brown color.
Bake the calzones in the preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
Tips For Making The Best Keto Calzone
- Roll the dough thinly: To ensure even cooking and a crispy crust, roll the dough circles thinly. This helps to prevent the calzones from becoming doughy.
- Seal the edges properly: Press and crimp the edges firmly to seal the calzones securely. This prevents the filling from leaking out during baking.
- Customize the fillings: Feel free to experiment with different fillings according to your taste preferences. Try adding cooked Italian sausage, sautéed vegetables, or your favorite cheeses for a personalized touch.
- Serve with dipping sauce: Accompany your keto calzones with a side of marinara sauce or a low-carb tomato sauce for dipping. It adds an extra burst of flavor.
Filling Variations For Keto Calzone
- Vegetarian: if you are a fan of veggies, you can swap the filling from this recipe with your favorite sauteed vegetables like mushrooms, spinach, bell pepper, and onion. Add some crumbled feta cheese for an extra burst of salty flavor. The combination of vibrant veggies and tangy cheese creates a delicious and satisfying filling.
- Cheese: Choose your favorite type or a combination of cheeses, shred them, and generously sprinkle them over the dough. As the calzone bakes, the cheese will melt and create a gooey and irresistibly cheesy center.
- Meat: If you crave a protein-packed calzone, consider adding shredded chicken or crumbled crispy bacon to the filling.
- BBQ Chicken: Toss shredded cooked chicken in your favorite low-carb BBQ sauce, then spread it over the dough. Add a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella cheese and diced red onions for a delicious BBQ chicken calzone.
How To Serve
- Pair it with a Fresh Salad: Enhance the flavors of your keto calzone by serving it alongside a refreshing salad. Opt for a green salad with crisp lettuce, cucumber, and cherry tomatoes, or try a classic Caprese salad, or a Greek salad. The combination of the calzone’s savory filling with the vibrant and crisp salad will create a satisfying and well-rounded meal.
- Serve with Your Favorite Veggies: Complete your keto calzone meal by serving it with a side of your favorite low-carb vegetables. Roasted asparagus, air fryer zucchini, or roasted broccoli and cauliflower are all excellent choices. T
- Enjoy with Cauliflower Rice: For a low-carb alternative to traditional rice, serve your keto calzone with cauliflower rice.
- Pair with a Creamy Dip: Elevate the flavors of your calzone by serving it with a creamy dip. Try a garlic sour cream dip, a tangy ranch dressing, or a spicy chipotle mayo.
Storing Ideas For Keto Calzone
When it comes to storing your Keto Calzones, here are some helpful guidelines:
- Fridge: you can store any calzone leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. When ready to enjoy, you can reheat them in the oven or microwave until warmed through.
- Freezer: First, allow the calzones to cool completely. Then, individually wrap each calzone tightly in plastic wrap or place them in separate freezer-safe bags. Calzones can be stored for up to 3 months.
- Reheating: When you’re ready to enjoy your frozen calzones, you have a couple of options. You can either thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and reheat them in the oven until warmed through, or you can reheat them directly from frozen. If reheating from frozen, bake them in a preheated oven at a slightly lower temperature than the original baking temperature for a slightly longer time, checking for doneness along the way.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make This Recipe With Coconut Flour?
No, you can’t since coconut flour has different properties, and you may need to adjust the amount of liquid and eggs to get the right consistency.
Can I Make The Dough In Advance?
Sure, you can make the dough ahead of time and freeze it for later use. However, ensure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or before freezing.
More Keto Pizza Recipes
- Pizza Stuffed Chicken
- Zucchini Pizza Boats
- Zucchini Pizza Bites
- Easy Pizza Dip Recipe
- Easy Keto Breakfast Pizza
- Zero Carb Chicken Crust Pizza
For The Dough
For The Filling
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 24 pepperoni slices
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 350F/190C.
- Make the dough. In a food processor, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, cream cheese, egg, butter, and xanthan gum. Pulse the ingredients together until a sticky batter forms.
- Shape the dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic foil. Place the wrapped dough in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Chilling the dough will make it easier to work with.
- Cut the chilled dough into 6 equal portions. Using two sheets of parchment paper, roll each portion of dough into an 8-inch circle. This will serve as the base for your calzones.
- Assemble the calzones. On one half of each dough circle, spread approximately 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce, leaving a small border around the edges. Layer 4 slices of pepperoni and sprinkle a generous amount of shredded mozzarella, ricotta cheese, and Parmesan cheese over the sauce.
- Gently fold the other half of the dough over the filling, forming a half-moon shape. Press and seal the edges of the calzone together, ensuring no filling spills out during baking. You can use your fingers or a fork to create a decorative pattern and firmly seal the edges.
- Place the assembled calzones onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, making sure to leave some space between them. This will allow them to bake evenly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and salt to create an egg wash. Brush the tops of the calzones with the egg wash, which will give them a beautiful golden brown color as they bake.
- Bake the calzones in the preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until they turn golden brown and crispy. Keep an eye on them to avoid over-browning.
- Once baked to perfection, remove the calzones from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. This will allow the filling to set and make them easier to handle.
- Serve the delicious keto calzones warm and enjoy their flavorful combination of crispy crust, gooey cheese, and savory fillings.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below. Readers that love this aslo made these recipes: